upgrade my ecu

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 May 2005, 08:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default upgrade my ecu

i want a chip or a code to upgrade the ecu for my pt crusier non turbo
Old 10 May 2005, 09:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chrysler is extremely secretive about the codes used on the ECU. I don't believe their are any "chips" on the market, but there is a place that sells a performance upgrade for the PT.

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories...optimizer2.htm

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 May 2005, 10:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Go to E-bay, and type in "PT Cruiser performance chip". You should see a few pop up. I am using one right now, it only cost $0.99, and it's working with no problems. It's just a resistor that tells the computer the air coming into the engine is cooler than it really is, so the engine in turn is fed more fuel and the timing is advanced slightly. I noticed a bit of a difference, it works quite well with an aftermarket intake. I would say to invest the .99, and if you don't like it, just throw it away, but you should notice something... as much or equal to JET or Belle chips.
Old 11 May 2005, 03:21 am
Veteran Cruiser

On another forum I read that the $0.99 resistor was not a good thing and may cause you problems down the road. It was from a ASE Certified Master mechanic (MX-5?). It's your ride, you decide.

If you do decide on the Kenne Bell chip do not allow Chrysler to flash your computer or they will put it back to stock.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 11 May 2005, 03:43 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hmm, I maybe taking that chip out pretty soon... any rhyme or reason mean green?
Old 11 May 2005, 08:15 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

but you should notice something... as much or equal to JET or Belle chips.
Don't know about the Jet chips, but the Kenne Bell works by advancing timing and requires you to use higher octane (premium) fuel. It also reprograms the auto transmission. Folks who have the Kenne Bell chip are satisfied and feel it was worth it.
As to the $.99 resistor - if it were that simple, even Chrysler would do it. There has to be a downside.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 May 2005, 12:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Good point quicksilver.
Old 12 May 2005, 02:20 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

Hmm, I maybe taking that chip out pretty soon... any rhyme or reason mean green?
Sorry, he never really explained. Just that it was not a good thing. I think Don has a point that if it was that easy Chrysler would do it. Everybody I've read about has liked the Kenne Bell chip results. Some folks have made a metal cover to go over the port where Chrysler plugs in to reflash your computer.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 12 May 2005, 10:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Here's the deal.....

No matter what the temp sensor reads, once the system goes into closed loop the O2 sensors have final say.
The PCM will use the O2 data to modify short & long term fuel trim to keep the mixture around 14:1.

The added reason that the sensors are not used anytime you exceed 85% throtle angle is enough to leave these kinds of mods away from the PT.
Above 85% throttle, the PCM goes into a pre-programmed fuel/ignition strategy.
Only sending the PCM in for programming can you bypass the programmed limits. The timing can go as high as 37 degrees prior to 85% throttle. Above that, it will not exceed 24 degrees no matter what you do.

Old 12 May 2005, 12:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Thanks for the details MX-5. Are you saying then that the resistor really doesn't do anything, except advance the timing slightly? Are there any problems that can occur from the resistor?