Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Only 24000 miles with a shimmy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 May 2005, 02:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Only 24000 miles with a shimmy

Anyboody with a shimmy,My 2003 GT has only 24000 miles and around 35 mph.if I hold the steering wheel lightly some time it shimmys for a long time, Also I have a clunk in the front end,It only does once and a while,Sometimes just as the car comes to a stop or when pulling out or just moving the steering wheel,it doesn't do it often...But I try to make the clunk it won't....I want it to do it so I can take it in...Bob Renninger[:I][:I][:I][:I]
Old 24 May 2005, 03:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Did you just have tires rotated? The Good-for-a-years are notorious for vibration. If you did, put them back & see. Could also be related to the clunk - check suspension bushings, but I haven't heard of them causing shimmy - you might just be lucky....[:0]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 May 2005, 08:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

THE last time I rotated was 5000 miles ago,does not shimmy higher then 50 mph.Feels just like my 1936 Ford with bad kingpins,but the play in the steering wheel,Thanks for your help...Bob Renninger
Old 24 May 2005, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry typing mistake....PT. HAS NO PLAY IN STEERING WHEEL..BOB RENNINGER
Old 24 May 2005, 11:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check the lower control arm bushings for separation.
I replace a lot of them for similar complaints.
Old 26 May 2005, 04:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

What you described sounds like what I experienced a few months ago right after purchasing new front tires.

It turned out to be the tie rod ends needed replacing.
Old 29 May 2005, 04:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I agree with the others, check out the front end.

Also, Look at the front rotors. Both my front rotors warped at 2400 miles. (go figure)

Good Luck!
Old 31 May 2005, 01:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Droped off GT this morning.they just called and said TIE ROD ENDS BAD, do these go bad often...My 94 chev. hed 92000 miles before any problems with front end, 102000 no problems with my 1981 chev. wagon...Maybe I should have bought a GM car...BOB RENNINGER[:I][:I][:I][:I]
Old 31 May 2005, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Bob, if you had bought a GM, you would have had loose/broken interior parts, strange rattles, and leaks that are "normal". If you had bought a Ford, the transmission would be worse than a PT, and your car would be different than many of the same year, make, model, requiring hard-to-find parts (many variations). Every make has different problems. Each chooses places to save money.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 31 May 2005, 06:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Look at how the wheels were balanced. If the weights were hung on the rim that could be the problem. YOu really need to use the weights that go on the inside arc of the wheel. I had a problem when the dealership put a new wheel on my 03 GT and used rim weights. It drove everyone nuts why I had the shimmies (the dealer and 2 other tire shops). Finally Goodyear sent me an Amereica's Tire shop and they recognized the problem immediately. Rebalanced the wheel and it was fine
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come