Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
But I don't have a car alarm!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 May 2005, 11:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default But I don't have a car alarm!

So I'm sitting at work today and someone calls and says my car alarm's going off. Hm, that's odd, I think...I don't have one! But I go outside, and sure enough the car is honking in rhythm, the hazards are flashing, inside and out. I tried starting and stopping the car, electronically and manually locking and unlocking the doors, and then just sitting there. Sitting there worked, as after a couple of minutes, it stopped.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

SJGW
Old 25 May 2005, 12:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

When you lock the doors, either with a key or electronic key-fob, a little red light in the center of the large dial on the left (Gas/temp) will start flashing (if you have an alarm). After one minute the system is activated and the opening of the doors, rear hatch and hood (if you have an earlier model with a hood switch) will set off the alarm, which includes the horn and lights. After 3 minutes the horn will stop but the flashing lights will keep going for another 15 minutes. Putting your key in the drivers door lock and turning it will shut the alarm off. That's what my 2001 owners manual says.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 May 2005, 04:40 pm
Cool Cruiser

SJGW, welcome to the forum! As for the alarm, what Crewzin said.
There is passive anti-theft, which is the key fob with a code that allows only your keys to start the car. There are also some that have the alarm. This warns when there is unauthorized entry into the car (doors or tailgate open).
It would also help if you supply what year and option levels yours has for any future questions. There are differences in our 'lil PTs.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 25 May 2005, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess I sat on my Panic button, is that what y'all are saying?

It sure made me panic!
Old 25 May 2005, 08:01 pm
Senior Cruiser

When in doubt, read the owner's manual.[]
Old 25 May 2005, 08:06 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SJGW

I guess I sat on my Panic button, is that what y'all are saying?
It sure made me panic!
With what your saying...you have the key-fob with the PANIC buton on it, and yes, sitting on it will trigger the alarm. I believe if you hold the PANIC button down again when the alarm goes off, it will shut off the horn and lights.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 26 May 2005, 01:00 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Hate to admit it but I have accidentally set off the panic alarm several times. Crewzin is correct, if you set off the panic alarm, the ONLY way to get it to shut up (other than wait out the 3 minutes of flashing and honking) it to get fairly close to the car and press the red panic button on the remote.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 26 May 2005, 02:02 am
Cool Cruiser

at a pt show my fiancee reached in the window and opened the locked passengerside door. Of course the alarm went off. all of a sudden about 25 other cars had there alarms go off. [:I] While im trying to figure this out the other owners are laughing their butts off. Aparently its a running gag of thiers that if someones alarm goes off everyone else hits thier panic button.

[)]
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)