Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
N/A "hypergrounding"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 May 2005, 01:32 am
Cool Cruiser

Default N/A "hypergrounding"

I did a version of the hyperground to my NA tonight. It took about an hour and cost me about 15 dollars. IMHO it was well worth it. The headlights are a bit brighter, id say probably cleaner. Shifting from first to second ( auto) the car lost its "unloading" effect and went into a more powerful shift. Granted it was subtle. and when i locked the doors, or ran the windows the lights didnt dim near as much as they used to.

Worth the time!!

if anyone is interested for what i did to my NA i can type up the steps i took

Old 27 May 2005, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes Yes, we're interested!! [?] I've always been leery of electronic work on cars and any help would be appreciated. I plan to add undercar and interior lighting and I want to be confident that I don't screw up the electrical system on my car.

[8)] Cruise on!
Old 01 Jun 2005, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would love to read how to hyperground my NA for 15 dollars! [?]
Old 01 Jun 2005, 10:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ihatecrashing

I would love to read how to hyperground my NA for 15 dollars! [?]
10awg copper wire & gold terminals. Just go to your local stereo installer. The most important thing about it is WHERE you put the wires & not how many.
Old 02 Jun 2005, 01:47 am
Cool Cruiser

Sorry for the delay.

I used Scotsche 8Ga. wire, and gold plated terms.

Starting at the battery i ran one cable from the negative terminal to the ground point on the frame.

the groundpoint is just to the right of the battery and above the hole for the snorkle. (notice the nasty glare from the gold connector?)

From there i ran a cable to one of the bolts on the ECU.
<sorry no picture of this>
from there i went past the throttle body along the right side of the valve cover. If you look there is an ovalish cover on the side of the motor, i can only assume that its for the camshaft. just below that there is a single bolt holding in a bracket. I connected the other end of the ECU wire.

from this bolt i ran another cable up to the throttle cable cover,

along the cables,

around the steeringfluid container and down to the groundpoint on the passengerside shocktower. Its underneath the AC hoses.

OK, some people have talked about removing the existing ground cable on the passenger side. I hate taking stuff off my car if i dont have to. Not to mention that the other end of it goes to the back of the motor. Im not claiming that this is the BEST route to do this mod but i do think that its pretty darn non invasive.

2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 02 Jun 2005, 04:45 am
Veteran Cruiser

These are pics of the hyperground on my turbo.

This is an article on it and how I ran mine.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/testrepor...per/index.html

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 03 Jun 2005, 03:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Notice the difference between a real digital camera and a cell phone? LOL

I had a printed out copy of means article when i did mine. there really isnt much of a difference.
2k3 Electric Blue Touring, N/A, K&N dropin, Silencers removed, Snorkle Replacement, BTG Catback Single Tip Exhaust. \"Technogrounding\", Custom Painted interior, 2k1 5 spoke wheels painted black, Next Destination: Hahn Stage 1. (alas! the perils of insufficient funds)
Old 04 Jun 2005, 06:04 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by technobear

Notice the difference between a real digital camera and a cell phone? LOL

I had a printed out copy of means article when i did mine. there really isnt much of a difference.
I think the more power you have the more you are going to feel it. Besides the engine running smoother it pulls a bit harder than before and I feel it more because my GT is really modded out performance wise. The GT also had a problem with the headlights getting dimmer whenever you hit the brakes and that is gone, too. For as cheap as the hypergrounding was for me it was a good mod.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Jun 2005, 12:41 am
Cool Cruiser

Ditto ( well not on the modded turbo part)

I like where you connected to the struttower bar.
I might change to that when i get one.
Old 08 Jul 2005, 11:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Did my own type of system lastnight. I used Mean Green's system as base for mine. Found it hard to match to a N/A so I looked for more options.
I used the same 2 mouting positions from the ECU to the bolt on the head and the bolt to the strut from the negative. I'm going to try to run a line to the other strut and run another to the fender on the other mounting possition.
Currently I start one going to the strut to negative, then one from negative to the bolt on the head braket and then one from there to the ECU. I feel I need another line going from the negative to the fender and then from the strut to other strut. I will see what happens when I've tried this.

Thanks