Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
hard to start

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jun 2005, 05:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default hard to start

each morning (cold engine) my engine is hard to start what apening i ave 2.4 turbo
Old 08 Jun 2005, 08:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You're not touching the gas pedal are you? just turn the key - no gas.
If that's not is, are plugs gapped at 0.040-0.042? Is it okay when warm? Might be a sensor that enrichens to start (used to be choke...).[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

You didn't mention how cold. If the weather is warming up and it's mid-50s instead of 40 or less, you are in a "less enrich" area. It doesn't get as much extra fuel. Try a fuel induction service. This cleans deposits in the intake that act like barbeque charcoal in the morning. The deposits suck up the fuel, keeping it from going into the engine and burning. I've seen this make a big difference on cold start-up. It should be done every 30k or so as maintainence. It will help smooth warm idle, too.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 28 Jun 2005, 11:48 pm
Regular Cruiser

no i dont touch the gaz pedal and cold like a sumer day and yes my sprk plug is new and gaped at .042 and i wait 5 sec and i start the car (for the fuel pump stop make sound)and i ave no code
Old 29 Jun 2005, 01:49 pm
Regular Cruiser

hmmmm .... this sounds like the same thing I'm experiencing. I have an '03 GT with 18K miles ... about 6K of which are with Stage 1 .... hence newer injectors. Since the weather has warmed, the first try on cold start it takes more cranking, or a second try to fire up. On the second try it always fires instantly. Warm starts are as before ... a very short crank and 'vrooom. No other symptoms at all. Funny that I have a '91 Corvette that does this same thing ... it fires instantly on the second crank, but it requires what I consider extra cranking to fire the first time. For both cars I let the fuel pump complete it's cycle to pressure up before I crank. I've thought that it might be an oil pressure switch on the Corvette as it's always seemed to be part of that car's characteristic.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 10:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Have the exact same symptoms. 2003 GT with 16000 miles. Had to run fuel injection cleaner through it at 10000 miles and it corrected it, and now it's back again. Dealer couldn't find anything at 10000 mile issue.
Old 19 Jul 2005, 02:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

my friend tell me is the fuel pump contamination
Old 20 Jul 2005, 10:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by steve smith

my friend tell me is the fuel pump contamination
I would suspect fuel pump problems wouldn't just be at startup - you'd have problems at full throttle.....[:I]
Old 20 Jul 2005, 09:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

My '03 GT goes through periods of wanting to and then not wanting to start the first time. Dealer found nothing. Now the first time I try it is only for like a second and then on the second try it fires right up. If the engine is warm it starts right up in a nano second. Nothing wrong with my GT as it runs very well.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Jul 2005, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

my dealer found nothing[xx(][V]