Advertisements
My Dipstick Broke... No Kidding!!!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Stephen R.
  • 2 Post By Storminone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:23 am
Cool Cruiser

Default My Dipstick Broke... No Kidding!!!

On page 9-34 of the 2001 PT Service Manual, there are two diagrams showing a screw that secures a bracket near the top of the dipstick to the underside (?!?!?!) of the intake manifold. Well, that screw fell out and caused enough wobble in the tube to snap it off at the block.

I saw a mention with the Neon crowd that you need to drop the oil pan and hammer the residual tubing out of the block. Getting in there with an EZ-Out is too tight, not to mention even trying to get that screw back in there without getting all PO'd. The dealer is going to have a look at it tomorrow with an estimate at $200.

EVERYBODY!! Go out to your PT right now and check that the screw/bolt is in there and TIGHT! If you have a "mystery" oil leak, check the dip-to-block area for leakage.
rockandroller likes this.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:29 am
Young Cruiser

I believe the dipstick tubes are poorly made and have a tendency to break off near the bottom. I had the same problem, except my screw did not break. The bottom of the dipstick tube seperated during and intake man. swap (stock plastic to GT).

All I did was get a small metal hook and insert it in the hole in the oil pan where the tube presses in. When I felt it was far enough in I altered the position as to hook the remaining part of the dipstick tube from the bottom. It pulled out of the oil pan very easily, no problem.

As for your broken screw. The best bet is to remove the intake so you can get it on a bench and work on it. Should be pretty easy. It is the lower half of the intake.

Ant
Fully built HRC Turboed 2.4: Wiseco pistons, T2 rods, Port & Polished head (Bob Special) with oversize Stainless Steel valves, #14 Crane Cams, AF/X UDP, No balance shafts, Custom 3\" downpipe, 3\" hi flow exhaust, Ported GT intake manifold, Bored Throttle Body, 30 lb injectors, Water/Alc. injection
Old 08 Jun 2005, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had to EZ-Out one from a small-block Chevy years ago. Never thought about the hook method then... or now.

Unfortunately for my situation, the $$ deed is done.
Old 09 Jun 2005, 11:46 am
Senior Cruiser

This sort of reminds me of that old saying......

For want of a nail, a shoe was lost.
For want of a shoe, a horse was lost.
For want of a horse, a battle was lost.
for want of a battle, a war was lost.

Sorry about your bad luck, Stephen.[:I]
Old 24 May 2008, 01:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptgt03srt Send a message via Yahoo to ptgt03srt
Default Re: My Dipstick Broke... No Kidding!!!

I have the same problem.I tried a clothes hanger and that didnt work.Any other suggestions?
Old 05 Jul 2015, 06:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this is an old thread, but I thought I would share my experience/solution to this problem.

I went to add coolant to my 2005 PT Cruiser (Touring convertible). I left the cap on top of the engine, and when I started the car so that the coolant would get sucked into the engine so I could top it off, closing the door was enough to send the cap into the fan, which knocked it into the dipstick tube and broke it off where it sticks attaches to the engine block.

My solution was in part recommended by hints from this and other sites.

I took a three foot long, 3/8" threaded rod and notched it on both ends...one end only deep enough to get the blade of a flat-head screwdriver in...the other end 1/2" to 3/4" to make it a bit like a "tap-out" tool. I screwed one nut on about 8-10", slid on a large socket that I had on-hand, and then screwed a second nut just a couple of inches down.

I added a little grease to the deeply notched end (to catch any shavings), and then screwed the rod, using the top notch, into the piece of tube remaining.

Most of the suggestions that I read online said the point was to make a sort of "slide-hammer". Because I didn't feel like I was getting a solid enough strike using the socket, I took a hammer, and gave two gentle taps on the bottom of either side of the socket. On the second tap on the second side, it came right out.

I believe this worked particularly well because using a three foot piece of threaded rod actually put the working section above any part of the engine, and gave me the ability to work easily with the tool I created. A two foot section of threaded rod would not have afforded the same ease of access.

Took me about five minutes to make the two notches, and about half that amount of time to get the little piece of tube out.

Cost -

$2.87 - threaded rod
$ .44 - two nuts
Already owned the dremel and the socket that I used, so a total of:
$3.31 plus tax

Plus of course the $16 and change plus tax for the new part (a little high, but based on the conversation with the first parts guy at the first Chrysler dealer I talked to, I'm pretty sure it was the only one available in town at the time).

Hope this helps someone else.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DipstickTube2.jpg (86.8 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg DipstickTube3.jpg (85.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg DipstickTube4.jpg (84.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 22 Aug 2016, 01:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The question I have is "How long is the metal blade on a stock, non turbo, engine oil dipstick in an 04 PT Cruiser" The metal portion of the dipstick, currently in my car, is 19 inches long, with an overall length of 21 1/2 inches, including the handle.
I just purchased my first PT, an 04 non-turbo, and went to do an oil change. Drained the oil, reinstalled the drain plug then poured in the new oil. While letting the fresh oil settle I emptied the used oil into the 5 quart now empty oil container. To my surprise there was to much oil to fit into the 5 quart container, about two, or so, quarts to much.
I checked the engine oil dipstick, which was not reading any oil, at all; then in a panic I checked the transmission dipstick, which looked fine. I then added another quart of engine oil, which just barely brought the engine oil onto the engine oil dipstick.
After scratching my head for a little bit I realized that at this point I had installed 6 quarts of Mobil 1 full synthetic, while the dipstick was indicating I still had about one more quart to go BEFORE even reaching the add line.
I have not yet been able to find a definitive answer as to the length, but my gut feeling is that some previous owner broke, or some how lost, the original engine oil dipstick.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 02:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

2001 Non-Turbo. Dipstick 22 1/4 inches from tip to bottom of handle.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 02:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have approx. 21 1/2 inches from the tip of the blade to the shoulder where it hits the dip stick tube and 23 1/2 overall length on my 2008 Base Model PT Cruiser.

Last edited by ptcruisersteve; 22 Aug 2016 at 02:33 pm.
Old 22 Aug 2016, 02:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

Pic of 2005 N/A manual engine oil dipstick

2005 N/A 5 speed manual - Booger bushings, K&N Filter, MSD spark plug wires, APC Taillights, Accra-Form Running Boards, Hubcap Mike's Spoke Hubcaps, Retrosound radio (usb1-2/aux1-2/bluetooth), Chrysler 1949 Hood Ornament, and a Flameball white pearl shift knob (which makes it go faster).