Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Performance chip question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Performance chip question

I just got my 2005 PT a cpuple weeks ago, and am starting to do mods to it. I know the performance chips work, but what's the difference between the ones advertised for $300+ versus what you can buy off ebay? (see the ad from ebay below).

Thanks,

Gary

example:

HP Performance chip

New
Gain up to 20 horse power
100% SAFE, 100% LEGAL!!
Does not void factory warranty
No tools required
Installs in under 10 minutes a kid can do it
LIFE TIME Guarantee
Accelerate faster and a higher top end
Comes with instructions for installation
Heat resistant and water proof
Slides Right In To Factory Sensor No Need to Solder or cut Factory Wiring
Sorry will not work on turbo or supercharged engines.

Now is the time to buy this chip once it hits stores the price will be 119.99 so buy now and save lots.

This product is backed by a Life Time Manufacturer Warranty

All vehicles have an Electronic Control Unit (ECU)-a computer chip that electronically manages and monitors your car's performance-that is made according to government regulations. That means that your car could be going a lot faster and getting more power if you replace the ECU. That could cost up to 2000 dollars. This mod will modify your stock ECU with a Zoom performance chip. This mod connects to the car's ECU by replacing the Intake Airflow Temperature (IAT) Sensor. Once the module is installed, the ECU will read that the air coming in through the intake is cold air; think of it as a "default" setting on the ECU. When the ECU reads this, it leans out the air/fuel mixture-in other words, it will take in more air, and then add more fuel to compensate for the extra air coming in, thus, producing more power and advancing timing 1 to 2 degrees. Because the engine is creating more power, give your Car or Truck up to 20 More Horsepower!

Old 08 Jun 2005, 08:46 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forums, Gary.
This keeps coming up. In my opinion, the only chip worth it is The KenneBell - which really isn't a chip, but a reprogram of your engine computer to make use of Premium fuel.
There are other "chips" - basically just resistors that fool intake sensors to pump more fuel.
That "up to 20 HP" won't happen.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jun 2005, 11:05 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, quicksilverdon. 'ppreciate it!
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:28 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree 1,000% with Don on this one! U get what U pay for some charge as little as $10 and it is worth about that maybe less. If one resistor would give U a free 10 hp the factory would be all over it. Sure richen up the gas and you will get more hp somewhere along the power curve but what about other places? I know the turbos run very rich and that would be disastorous for them. The N/A probably fare better richer but remember you will get best perfrormance with the ideal ratio of fuel to air and that is what your original computer is striving for. Yes you can buy a new computer module but and it will give you more power but you will spend a little more for premium gas and not get it back in better gas mieleage but in a little better HP!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 May 2007, 08:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to infernocruisr01
Default Re: Performance chip question

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Welcome to the forums, Gary.
This keeps coming up. In my opinion, the only chip worth it is The KenneBell - which really isn't a chip, but a reprogram of your engine computer to make use of Premium fuel.
There are other "chips" - basically just resistors that fool intake sensors to pump more fuel.
That "up to 20 HP" won't happen.
do you have the wed site for the reprogramer. i have stock 01 limited that i'm going to start doing mods to. it would be a great help. i also was thinking about the performance chip.

Chris
Old 13 May 2007, 01:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernocruisr01 View Post
do you have the wed site for the reprogramer. i have stock 01 limited that i'm going to start doing mods to. it would be a great help. i also was thinking about the performance chip.

Chris

Here's Kenne Bell's website for his programmer.

Kenne Bell Optimizer II

Also, if you have a 2001 automatic, our PT Guru on all sites (MX-5) came up with a trick to help the trans shift faster from 1st to second gear. You cut one wire and improve the shifting because normally the computer actually stops the injectors from firing (plus other things) when the auto-trans shifts between 1st & 2nd gear. By cutting the wire, everything keeps running thereby getting a faster, cleaner shift. You notice it more when your foot is to the floor while going thru the gears. It doesn't hurt the tranny, in fact by not cutting out between gears, it's less strain on the tranny.

Can't find the thread right now to tell you how to do this modification but I'll keep looking for it and pass it on when I do find it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 14 May 2007, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank you crewzin,

Please keep me posted on that trick for the trans, as i do have an auto, Do you know if it is a programer or do i have to send my computer out to be recalibrated. Plus i'm also wondering about the silencers in the stock air box i pulled out the white one are there any more besides the white one

thanks

chris
Old 15 May 2007, 06:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, I found the thread that gives the info on the cut-wire trick for the trans.

torque managment, how to fix the 1-2 shift burp - PT Forums - The PT Cruiser Enthusiasts and Owners Resource

The Kenne Bell Optimizer is put on/in by the seller, you have to send in your computer and they send it right back fully programmed. There's two drawbacks to the optimizer: 1, you have to use premium fuel to get the benefits, and 2, never let the service department at a Chrysler dealer "flash" your computer. If they do, you'll lose the programme that was put in by Kenne Bell.

I've never done the air-filter upgrade with the white silencers, but I've read and heard that it does help. I believe there's two white silencers in the air box that are removed plus I think you add a bigger intake pipe at the area where it draws in air from the hole in the fender. Also a more free-flow air filter itself is recommended.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 May 2007, 06:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Thanks again Crewzin,

That was a big help thanks. Now i'm going to find out how much it costs and read up on my service manual for the trans.

Thanks

Chris
Old 16 May 2007, 07:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin,

I just received an e-mail about the optimizer II. They told me they don't have a kit for the Cruiser. Any thouhgt about this