Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
no-name spark plug wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jun 2005, 11:33 am
Regular Cruiser

Default no-name spark plug wires

Wife's PT is at 33K miles - checked the owner's manual and was surprised to find that they recommend changing the plugs every 30K. Thought for sure they'd put longer lasting plugs in given how the intake manifold has to be removed to changed them.

After searching the archives here for a few nights, I placed an order for NGK Iridiums + wires from www.sparkplugs.com (pn PTSET on their website). Seemed like a good price.

Received the order today - surprised to find the plug wires are "no name" brand 9mm diameter. Looking back at their website I see that it doesn't explicitly say the wires included with the Iridium 'kit' are NGK branded, but I didn't have reason to think otherwise either.

Given what a PITA it is to get the plugs on a NA PT, should I return the no-name brand plug wires that Sparkplugs.com packages with their 'NGK Iridium' kit?

Anyone know how these wires hold up and fit? Their resistance is 400 - 800 ohms depending on length, can't tell if the connectors are stainless steel or not. No country of manuf or company name anywhere on the bag.

Dave
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Probedude.
Hard to say about wires you got. Best I know of are Cranes (RaecAndStreet.Com) they are only 25 ohms/ft - which is excellent.
Maybe ask how many ohms/ft - if it's 50 or less (even 75), use them.
Odds are they're better than stock.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Jun 2005, 12:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

Just got off the phone with Sparkplugs.com and was told that the plug wires included in the PTSET are made by Kingsborne (www.kingsborne.com)
I'll download their catalog and see if I can match up what the construction/performance qualities of their wires are.
2001 PT Cruiser LE 5 spd, original owner, no mods - replaced
2001 PT Cruiser LE AT 103K miles.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 01:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Probedude

Just got off the phone with Sparkplugs.com and was told that the plug wires included in the PTSET are made by Kingsborne (www.kingsborne.com)
I'll download their catalog and see if I can match up what the construction/performance qualities of their wires are.
Kingsborne Wire W-erks( had to type like that because it shows up as ###) make excellent products. They can do many things with plugwires( like color & put any name you want on them...AWSOME fo rthe PT cruisers). Also the BERU plugs are great. I used to run both the plugs & wires on a few 4g63T powered cars I had.
Once these wires go bad i'm getting a set. Part number 18-724, for anyone interested.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 02:40 pm
Regular Cruiser

The part # on the set I received was 11-680. When I called Kingborne they said the blueprint length is the same for the 11-680 and the 18-724 but 11-680 was adjusted specifically for the NGK sparkplug (I'm guessing the iridiums since that's what I ordered). Something about fitting the NGK's better, or matching their height.

Dave
Old 08 Jun 2005, 03:31 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would go with the wires cause our cars have relatively short wire runs and what you really want is longer lasting not really better performance plug wires. I use MOPAR performance wires which are blue and numbered and work great. I dont really understand about the plug wire length or boots cause my Iridiums by NGK look pretty much like stock plugs from the outside and their size. Standarg plug wires fit them great.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 08 Jun 2005, 07:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

Sorry to ask another question different than the heading but what is the gap for the NGK Iridiums in a NA 2001 PT Cruiser?

I read the TSB changed it to 0.045", but online the NGK spec is 0.052". I also read that Iridiums with their fine point center electrode can be gapped wider than stock.

So is the 0.052" okay for Iridiums, and 0.045" for stock copper core plugs?

I'd like to not have to adjust the gap on these Iridiums I just bought if possible - that side electrode is REALLY beefy. (I know about staying away from the center electrode so I won't break it)

What gap are you guys running with Iridiums?
Dave
Old 09 Jun 2005, 01:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Iridiums dont appear to be gap sensitive. I used the factory gap of 0.052" on my GT and it works fine for last 10,000 miles so far.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 09:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Probedude, for posting this topic. I just bought the exact same thing from sparkplugs.com. I'm going to stick with these wires, and leave the plugs gapped at factory Gap of .052". Once again thanks. All of my questions and concerns have been answeres.[^]
04 PT GT, Xenon Crusher Body Kit, Tinted Windows, Clear Gen 4 Tail lights, Clear TYC Backup Lights, Chrome Package, Single Scoop \"Good Hood\", Eibach Lowering Springs, Mopar BOV Conversion, Air MAx CAI, Black Crystal Headlights, Pioneer Stereo with Kicker L7 SW.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 12:13 am
Senior Cruiser

Let us know how you like your combo! I found that on my GT it worked miracles on smoothing out my engine both at idle and acceleration.