Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0340

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2005, 10:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340

I have an '01 LE that is having an intermittant hard hesitation at highway speeds and now stalls every once in a while. It restarts after a few seconds. The code I get is P0340, Loss of Cam Position Sensor signal. Is this a commmon occurance with these cars? I DO NOT want go to the dealer if I can avoid it. Any Ideas?
Old 12 Jun 2005, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Check your battery cables for corrosion & tightness. Even if they seem tight corrosion between the batt terms & cable ends can make it appear tight.

I'm not sure if it is common on the PT's. But When the battery terminals get to corroded on any OBDII vehicle, that is normally what happens.
Check the connections first( also inspect the cables, for corrosion, it will be obvios if there is any).
Once you verify if they are good or not. Posot back
Old 13 Jun 2005, 01:50 am
Senior Cruiser

I noticed my 03 GT has some odd looking terminals does anyone know if I need special tool to get the cable off the battery or do I just use muscle??
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 13 Jun 2005, 05:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Just use a 10mm wrench to loosen the nuts on the screws that clamp the terminals tight. then use some muscle and pull them off. Easy really, just looks difficult.

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 13 Jun 2005, 10:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Kenny.
Some have had the cam position sensor go bad - it's used for ignition.
Before you do that, I'd suggest you replace plugs & wires - that usually cures symtoms you have.
Suggest Champion platinums - NAPA has them - gap at 0.045 - and Crane wires RaceAndStreet.com.
If symptom persists, then it's the cam position sensor, and you'll have new plugs & wires.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Jun 2005, 11:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input, I am going to be busy this weekend. Nice forum.
I'll be around.
Kenny
Old 13 Jun 2005, 12:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I worked on one a couple of weeks ago with the same code. You will probably have to replace the sensor. With the engine running tap on the sensor with a screwdriver.If the engine dies it's the sensor. I would also take it to your local dealer and have him update the pcm if it hasn't been updated already. You may have to pay an hours labor but shouldn't be more than 80-90 dllars. Well worht the money. It will help with gas mileage and several other issues...
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

WHy does it have to be updated? Curious.
Kenny
Old 13 Jun 2005, 06:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

You may fall under the PCM recall.
I have a 05 so I dont know if it's the same. But on mine the PCM was programmed with the wrong software.
If you had any recall work done. There should be a sticker on the dorr jamb, statign what if anything was done to the car( or go to your local dealership & have them run the VIN).
Old 13 Jun 2005, 11:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The updated PCM programming makes the PCM not so sensitive to sensor drop out and there are several drivability issues that it solves along with making the cruise control work in 1 mph increments when you bump the accel button.. Not vital issues but there are benefits. It's alos supposed to improve MPG but can't verifiy that...[?]