Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Cylinder Misfire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Jun 2005, 02:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade
Default Cylinder Misfire

Ive had my magnecor 7.5mm wires and champion double platinum plugs for about 5000 miles, and one of my cylinders is misfiring at idle. Im gonna have to buy a new set of different wires and install them again. The dealer was gonna charge me 200 bucks for a tune-up. What set of wires should I try now? I want 7mm or less, i dont think the stock coil puts out enough power for the bigger ones to be of use.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 03:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

How are your plugs? Are the connections tight & the wires not worn through? I noticed that my #1( nearest the passenger side) is rubbing against the power steering resivor, rather quickly breaking down. The dealer knows & is replacing them for free. I also have one rubbing the bottom of the intake.
Not saying they will do it for free, but it is something you should look into possibly. Just so it doesnt happen again if they are rubbing.
I would also switch to NGK plugs.

A dealer charging $200? that is nuts. If i'm not mistaken all you would need besides new plugs & wires( if any at all) is a new upper intake gasket & they could even be rubber O-rings, i'm not sure but at most it should run you about $100 to change the plugs & wires.

I forgot to ask. Are you getting a check engine light?
Old 14 Jun 2005, 03:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The best wires for price are Cranes at RaceAndStreet.Com - only 25 ohms/ft!
Strange. What gap did you go with? Suggest trying new plugs gapped at 0.042.
The magnecores shouldn't have died in 5,000 miles.....[:I]
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Jun 2005, 08:48 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TaylorMade

Ive had my magnecor 7.5mm wires and champion double platinum plugs for about 5000 miles, and one of my cylinders is misfiring at idle. Im gonna have to buy a new set of different wires and install them again. The dealer was gonna charge me 200 bucks for a tune-up. What set of wires should I try now? I want 7mm or less, i dont think the stock coil puts out enough power for the bigger ones to be of use.
Taylor you're wrong about the coil. Your coil is the same as in my PTGT. It puts out more than enough power to feed the wires and plugs, especially since the Magnecores are much lower resistance than stock wires. I personally have the Cranes, but the Mag are good too. One of your plugs may be lose. Take out the plugs gapped them down to at least .045 (DC requires their tech to do that now on n/a PT's), apply di-electric grease and reinstall them. Make sure they are tight, but not too tight. And yes, check the O rings on the intake before putting them back in. If you still have the garbage stock wires, switch them with the Mag's if you are still getting a miss and see what happens. You may have a defective wire. It's rare but it has happened. By the way, do the keyswitch trick first and see if you are getting any codes that have not triggered a CEL yet.
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 15 Jun 2005, 01:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

It's not about size... it's about resistance. Yes, usually bigger wires mean more resistance. If you can find an 8.5mm wires that have less resistance than say 7mm wires, then more electricity is going to get to the plugs, period.
Old 15 Jun 2005, 09:50 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CHROMEDCRUISER

It's not about size... it's about resistance. Yes, usually bigger wires mean more resistance. If you can find an 8.5mm wires that have less resistance than say 7mm wires, then more electricity is going to get to the plugs, period.
You're exactly right there buddy! My Crane Firewires have only 25 ohms/foot of resistance in 8 mm wires! The moment I installed them and decreased my plug gaps, I felt the difference!
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 16 Jun 2005, 05:01 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TaylorMade

my gaps are at .045, and no, no check engine light. ill check the connections when i get the chance. Thanks guys
2001 limited edition midnight blue PT, 17\" enkei wheels, rear spoiler,silencers removed, k&n drop in filter,MX-5\'s 1-2 burp-free shift mod, 1 10\" subwoofer, and a Dynomax muffler. (Just a 17 year old who loves his car)