PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Blown Head Gasket - Common after 60,000?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Jun 2005, 12:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Blown Head Gasket - Common after 60,000?

Anyone know if the PT Cruiser engine in general is known for blowing head gaskets after about 60,000 to 65,000 miles? I recently put a NOS system on my 2003 Turbo PT, and he mechanic said he would do it, but that he worked on that engine, the normal PT Cruiser non-turbo engine, and said that after about 65,000 miles, that you start leaking coolant, and the head gaskets blow. He game me 20 minutes of technical information why (something related to clearances on gaskets, openings, etc) (I'm not a mechanic), and said for that reason he did not recommend putting NOS on top of the turbo. So, was just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this being the case of PT Cruiser engines in general? The mechanic said he had worked on that engine for many years.
Old 19 Jun 2005, 01:24 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to SuGamer

No, no, no! Damn the unknowledged mechanics and rumors on the internet! [:0]I have heard of no one blowing head gaskets on the 2.4L engine! And a lot of PT owners are already past 65k. Some of the SRT-4 guys are boost as high as 26psi with new turbos! Wouldn't that blow a head gasket? I know a few guys that are running N20 on a PTGT, and one of them is a DC tech! The turbo'ed 2.4L is an extremely well built engine that can go up to close to 500hp with the stock internals, and the n/a engine is basically the same engine with weaker internals and can be made as strong or stronger than the turbo'ed version. And it's kinda funny that he has worked many years on this engine when the engine was redesigned to get more power and hold it and then some, and to be more efficient than previous versions. Get a better mechanic who knows what he's talking about.[:0]
Black 2004 PT Cruiser GT with chrome accent package, chrome door spears, billet gauge eyebrows, chrome beltline, Autotechnica tail light covers painted body color, TYC by Elegente backup lights and GPS Navigation. Silver dragons on sides and hood. Stage 1! Spark plugs gapped to .040, and installed a set of Crane Firewires. BTG cold air intake, AMX1397\'s Turbo Up Charge Pipe, Boomba Racing BOV, Hallman Pro PX manual boost controller and Mean Green\'s Hyperground Solution.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze247vu
http://www.ptcruiserworld.com/Junior

Old 19 Jun 2005, 03:57 pm
Cool Cruiser

The 2.0L NOT the 2.4L are notorious for blowing head gaskets. A headgasket failure with N20, isnt uncommon. It does happen. That is just part of the horsepower game.

BUT, you have a MLS( multi-layered steel) gasket. ALL 2.4L DC engines use them. So if you blow one of those you have problems.
You need to look for a warped head &/or block. I have been building 4g63 & 4g64 engines( the famous turbo engines used in the Talson, Eclipses & Lazers, for years). I use Stock mitsu MLS gaskets in them all & they hold WELL beyond 30 PSI...Because they are steel & they DO NOT blow. I also use them in almost every engine I build( GM, Ford, ect..)

Old 19 Jun 2005, 07:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

The answer to your question is no for your engine. [?]
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 21 Jun 2005, 11:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Some of the very early 2.4L engines in Stratus & mini-vans did blow head gaskets, but that was cured before the PT came about.
I did hear of 1 PT that MAY have blown a head gasket, but it is far from common.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Mar 2008, 07:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Blown Head Gasket - Common after 60,000?

My daughters car is in having the head gasket and head replaced. It is an 01 PT. 83,000 miles. It was blowing all the coolant into the overflow. The shop, (not dealership) has had it for 2 weeks so far. It also ruined the heater core. I was hoping it was just the gasket but the head was warped 3 times more than what could be planed.
I know i am a new member here but i started a thread on my daughters car and was told it is not uncommon for them to blow head gaskets. Maybe it's just something the older PT's did.

Geeez. I spent all this time replying to this topic and realized it's 3 years old.... Sorry everyone.
Old 10 Mar 2008, 08:25 pm
Veteran Cruiser

And still after seven years blown head gaskets have never been a issue.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Mar 2008, 10:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Red face Re: Blown Head Gasket - Common after 60,000?

Head gasket, or warped heads!!
Wonder which came first?
The chicken, or the egg?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonercruiser View Post
Head gasket, or warped heads!!
Wonder which came first?
The chicken, or the egg?
Exactly. With a cooling problem, a head can warp. When it does, a head gasket is sure to fail. Sounds like a cooling problem was the root cause - because why else would heater be shot?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Apr 2008, 05:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oh boy. I have 63,500 on mine, and I'm losing coolant with no logical explanation. I have a 2002 pre-turbo model.