PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
My Flowmaster kit sucks

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jun 2005, 09:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Default My Flowmaster kit sucks

It's like the 17326 kit was not even designed for the PT. Flowmaster claims it was, but it seems lousy to me. I installed it myself, and could not get every thing lined up right. I took it to a muffler shop, and they cut it, welded it and fit it after another 50 dollars in labor. It still rattles like a bat out of hell. I took it to another muffler shop (the first one is closed for the holidays now), and they said they would have to do more cutting welding and they cannot guarantee that my death rattle will go away. It's really annoying. I believe its hitting on the rear bumper as well as the axle, so no matter how I clamp it down its not going to work. I ordered it trhough summit. Do you think I have a chance of sending this kit back after its been "modified"? I also dont have the original box (got ruined trying to open it... soo many staples.) DO you think I have a chance of sending it back or will Summit probably laugh in my face? I could care less about a restocking fee. Both muffler guys say that this is the goofiest system they've ever seen. It sounds okay, can't tell much difference from stock until car fully warms up. Even then, its really quiet.
Old 28 Jun 2005, 11:16 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

All you can do is call them, explain honestly, and if they laugh keep going up the chain of command nicely, hoping all the way. Don't expect it but work toward it, then you won't be as disappointed.

I'm glad you shared about yours, because others have sworn by their flowmaster and I was tempted. No longer! Thanks for sharing.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 02:11 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I had a flowmaster 40 series put on mine, with no rattle. I didn't have the kit, so I can't say much for the fitment problems. I've had the muffler for about a year and no rattling what-so-ever. I've heard from several people that their Flowmaster kit was great, fitment was good, no problems with rattling, perhaps you just got a bad one out of the bunch. I believe the kit comes with a 50 series muffler, the 40 series is a bit louder. Flowmaster is probably one of the best mufflers I've heard on a PT, sorry yours didn't work out so well.
Summit may help you out, doesn't hurt to ask them.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 12:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: My Flowmaster kit sucks

The only way they would take it back is, if you don't tell them it was modified! Hmm isut saw the date..opps.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 10:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18sw View Post
The only way they would take it back is, if you don't tell them it was modified! Hmm isut saw the date..opps.
You right, I'd say that was a opps! In my case it would be having a " SENIOR MOMENT"

2008 Touring -9050 miles (Cash for Clunkers trade-in)
2008 Miata MX5 Vert. 30000 Mi
2000 Astro Con. Van. 58000 Mi (One owner)
2005 HD Sporster 1200, 8000 Mi
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:10 am
Senior Cruiser

When you take it to the shop, have them remove the rear hanger, and then spot weld the hanger mount on the muffler TO the mount on the rail. This will prevent it from bouncing in the rear against the muffler, but the other hangers will still allow it to bounce where needed :-D

Had to do this to my mustang after i widened the tips :-)
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:30 am
Cool Cruiser

Talking Re: My Flowmaster kit sucks

7 year old thread.
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default barer of bad information

As I am in the retail/wholesale and manufacturing performance business I can only speak for myself. Any part you buy if modified without the consent of the seller or manufacture voids all warranty implied or other. Fitment issues should have been discussed with the seller in your case Summit which would have in most all cases referred you to the manufacture. Flowmaster more then likely will not help correct this for you at this stage because of how many changes were done and will ping pong you back to Summit which will fall back on the modified part disclaimer.
I am not trying to shed a gloom on you just wanted you to be a little mentally prepared. If you somehow pled your case and they help you out then you will get more then what you expected going in. Right?

Complete Flowmaster warranty here
Flowmaster Warranty Impressive Lifetime Limited Protection on Stainless Steel Products, and 3-Year Protection on Aluminized Products

Specific's with this thread: This may or may not apply to you?

This warranty is void if the product was not installed properly on the vehicle, was installed on a vehicle for which it was not designed, .....

This warranty shall not apply to any product that was installed on any racing vehicle, installed improperly or contrary to Flowmaster’s instructions, altered, misused, or repaired or damaged from accident, collision, undercarriage road impact or debris or willful or negligent act.

To make any claim under the terms of this limited warranty, the Original Purchaser MUST either return the product to the Original Retailer or directly to Flowmaster. If the Original Purchaser elects to return the product to Flowmaster directly, he or she must first contact Flowmaster and obtain a Returned Material Authorization (RMA) number.

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
7 year old thread.

geeeeez NEWBIES(Thanks Chip18sw) not looking at the dates and a semi NEWBIE (me not looking at the dates either.........

Dalai Lama
"Share you knowledge. It's the best way to achieve immortality."
ASE MASTER TECHNICIAN
Old 18 Sep 2012, 11:57 am
Veteran Cruiser

HAA! i wonder if it still rattles?
NitroPT likes this.