PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
In addition to taking out the airbox silecers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2003, 03:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default In addition to taking out the airbox silecers...

...I am thinking of cutting out some of the square holes in the bottom of the airbox. When you pull the box out you see daylight under there. Just to keep it kind of stock looking I was thinking of just going in with a rotary grinder and taking out some of the squares in the bottom of the box. It should get cool air coming in from the bottom. Just want to let the K&N panel be all that it can be. Wadaya think?
Old 01 May 2003, 04:39 pm
Cool Cruiser

Seems like it would help!! Maybe Dalite (with his new mod) can give up a TEMP of the air under the airbox....

Click to see my GT!
Old 01 May 2003, 04:52 pm
Senior Cruiser

yep, I've heard of quite a few people doing this in the past on other cars. I guess it just depends on the flow limit of the filter?[:I]
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 01 May 2003, 05:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am seeing underhood temps of 77 to 81F when the car is running and taking on air (motion), and the A/C is off. These seem to be average for when the car is moving and outside temps are in the 75 to 85F range. In other words, as long as there is motion, and the A/C condensor is not venting heat, the Airbox is seeing air that is the same temp as the environment.

However, the A/C Condenser is a tremendous source of under-hood heat, and whenever the A/C is active, the temp is prone to go up when speed is low, stop and go, or idling at stoplights.

I suspect the same for the radiator and to a lesser degree, the intercooler. These aren't controllable; we have to have them functional all the time.

A "Ram Air" system that would allow air to be "Captured" in front of the Condenser is the answer we are looking for. As long as the Condensor and Radiator are functioning, there will be hot air coming into the engine compartment, and entering the airbox, or whatever intake system that is being used.

This looks like a job for some A/C ductwork from a junkyard that will be able to act as a "funnel" in front of the condensor and duct air back to the airbox inlet. Ram Air would be the ticket. The space between the condensor and the frame that is filled with the "tar paper" would allow a duct like a dash defrost duct (wide and narrow) to divert air into a duct that could be plumbed into the air box. The source of air in front of the condensor would be unaffected by engine heat, and only affected by outside temperature. Even at idle, the duct should allow enough air to do the job.

Looks like a project to build an air flow sensor and do some measuring.

I also need to mention that I still have the rear weatherstrip installed under the hood, and I could possibly be getting different results when the A/C is on if it were removed.

The bottom line is that when the car isn't moving, under-hood temps will increase. Still pointing toward some kind of Ram Air ducting to keep a stable source of air that is the same temp as the outside environment (ambient).

Check out the mod ( http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=2079 )concerning the overhead display dimming when lights are on and how to correct it. It is another easy one to do...
Old 01 May 2003, 08:26 pm
Senior Cruiser

I have been reading with interest the temp sensor move and I think it was a stroke of genius. Certainly more useful to me than outside temp. I have to remember to print that out. Thanks Dalite.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 02 May 2003, 04:48 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTcamster

dose any one have a funtional Ram air hood for our GT's like the one goodhood makes for non~turbos?

<font color=\"maroon\">Deep Cranberry Pearl Coat </font id=\"maroon\"><font color=\"blue\">GT</font id=\"blue\"> ~ <font color=\"red\">5</font id=\"red\"> <font color=\"purple\">speed</font id=\"purple\">
Old 02 May 2003, 06:35 am
Cool Cruiser

GTcam, pretty sure that the goodhood will fit and work the problem lies with the air intake...
Old 02 May 2003, 08:29 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to GTcamster

thats what i ment, is there one out there for our gt's? good hoods would be good to cool down the engine, but it be nice to have ram air[:I]
<font color=\"maroon\">Deep Cranberry Pearl Coat </font id=\"maroon\"><font color=\"blue\">GT</font id=\"blue\"> ~ <font color=\"red\">5</font id=\"red\"> <font color=\"purple\">speed</font id=\"purple\">
Old 02 May 2003, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Heres my ram air hood...fit perfectly.

14.67 @ 94.5 &lt;--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 04 May 2003, 07:49 pm
Administrator

saki- is your hood functional?