PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
? gauges for dual stage boost controller

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 May 2003, 04:30 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift
Default ? gauges for dual stage boost controller

when nstalling a dual stage boost controller do i need to also install the guages or is this just for show.
[:I]
Old 01 May 2003, 04:43 pm
Cool Cruiser

You should install gauges FIRST to monitor how much boost you are adding...overboost and u may damage your engine!!!
See:
http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...?TOPIC_ID=2076

Click to see my GT!
Old 01 May 2003, 07:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The bad thing about overboost is that it can be catastrophic if the overboost is dramatic, but it can also damage an engine over time. Non catastrophic overboost (past the lmits of the fuel map in the ECU and the capacity of the fuel pump) can cause damage (burning) to valves, pistons, etc by running the engine leaner that the ECU or the fuel pump can compensate for. Fortunately these issues usually show symptoms. If they happen, you need to heed and not ignore them. Gauges, in particular a vac/boost, a pyrometer (EGT Gauge), and or a air/fuel gauge are a necessity in order to assure that you are staying in a safe operating area for the hardware. These gauges should be installed BEFORE installing a boost control of any kind to determine the stock operating ranges for the engine without manual boost control. These benchmarks can provide you with valuable information. Many of the people on this forum regularly report findings on their installations. The ECU and Fuel pump limitations can be gathered from the DC service manual so that you do not regularly as a matter of course exceed them and damage an engine.
That is my two cents, a couple cents worth of care and logical experimentation can go a long way.
[8)]
Old 01 May 2003, 10:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to tthrift

thanks guys for all of your help, i am a new gt owner and this little car is so fun to drive i can't stand it.
tthrift