Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
The Whistle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2003, 11:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default The Whistle...

..not exactly a whiste. You'ld swear it was a belt or pulley (bearing) if you heard it, but the dealership has replaced the belt and tensioner twice in 800 miles and it persists.

Seems to come from around the PS pump area.

Here's what I think I "observe". Slight "whistle" at idle. very pronounced under accelleration. Seems to disappear "foot off the gas" decelleration.

So I'm thinking air/vacuum leak. Intake manifold? Is there an air pump or vaccum switch buried around the PS pump?

Thoughts?

Thx,

PeTe

PS Crossposted to PTE

2003 Dream Cruiser Series 2 #1515

Old 03 May 2003, 12:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

PeTe,

Did you remove the two silencers in the air box?

If so, this appears to be a "normal" sound (I hear it too without the silencers).

Scott
Old 03 May 2003, 01:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No - silencers still in. No mods until we can track this down. I mean can get LOUD and annoying and the I have not heard anythign like it or any other Turbos. I know it's hard to explain in words...

Does it have a BOV and, if so, is it located near the IC and near the PS pump area?

Thx

Pete
2003 DC2 #1515
Old 03 May 2003, 02:45 pm
Senior Cruiser

I would experiment with removing the silencers or just swapping the entire airbox to test. Perhaps one has a flaw that is causing it.

You aren't just hearing the turbo whistle though, right?

You might also take about a 3 ft lenght of garden hose and hold one end to your ear and probe around the engine compartment with the other end to try to localize the sound. This makes a very effective stethoscope.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 May 2003, 04:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Cal Cruzer,

I'm 99% sure it's not turbo whistle. There's this "rattly" sound to it. But sound can travel funny.

The garden hose - now that's an IDEA! It's going on the ramps and I'm going in.

Thx,

PeTe
2003 DC2 #1515
Old 03 May 2003, 06:51 pm
Senior Cruiser

PeTe,

Rattley sound is not good. I would concentrate checking for sound around the AC compressor or alternator or anything that has a bearing in it. Worse case, listen around the turbo housing. I had a turbo go bad on a volvo I used to have and the compressor vanes started scraping on the walls of the housing making a high rattley sound.

Good luck
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 03 May 2003, 10:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well...the garden hose stethoscope worked pretty good. I can probably tell you all the places the noise is not coming from, but I still can't tell you where it is. I can tell you that laying under a GT with the engine about 6 inches from your nose is a HOT darn place to be. Underneath the noise is not so precisely located and could very well be coming from the turbo. The dealer gets it - again - Monday and I'll post later in the week.

PeTe
2003 DC2 #1515
Old 06 May 2003, 08:10 am
Fanatic Cruiser

PeTe,

There has been some problems with the Power stering Pump. Check that area. There was a post about this issue before and ended up with blown PS hoses.

Ian
Old 08 May 2003, 02:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Now you really have my attention... cuz I believe I have that same whistle.. gets louder when I accelerate, but also when I turn my steering wheel to the extreme right and left..

..could it be the PS?

PeTe, please post your findings from the dealer if you find some time. thanks
Old 10 May 2003, 12:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Got the DC2 back yesterday from the dealer. They had it since Tuesday.

Verdict - replaced the belt and tensioner for the THIRD TIME! We'll see, but if it fails again we're in the Florida Lemon Law zone - unfortunately.

PeTe
2003 DC2 #1515