Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
What about this GT air-intake mod???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 May 2003, 04:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default What about this GT air-intake mod???

MOSS (cruiserbits.com) has the Air Max Intake System with a K&N filter and no modifications necessary for the 2003 GT Turbo for $339.95 (Part # 001-336). Would I get a substantial increase in horsepower (5 to 12 more HP) with this modification? Would there be a noticeable performance increase or would it "just be subtle" if any?

Thanks...[8)]
Old 03 May 2003, 05:52 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I'm betting you'd hear more of you turbo sounds but kinda doubt you'd get those kinda horspower numbers. I know my cheapo ghetto intake allows more sound and I only have about $50.00 invested . Here's my opinion only...as others have stated I don't believe that we're actually pulling much air from that hole that goes nowhere in the inner fender either with the stock air box,air box with silencers removed ,or my ghetto intake. I really believe that we need an air box that gets its air from somewhere other than our hot engine bays. Nobody seems to make anything thats actually pulling in some "colder air" . Even with our K&N cylinder type filters we're still pulling air from our "hot" engine compartment. Ideally I'd like to build an airbox and put my existing filter inside a sealed insulated box that is drawing air from either the grill or somplace thru a hose connected to the box . Then I'd bet it'd show some promise ! IMHO save your money.[:I][^]
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 03 May 2003, 06:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

If you go this route, there is another online vender with a much better price for this mod:

http://onestoptruckshop.com/ONLineOrdering/AirMax.htm
Old 03 May 2003, 09:57 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

flashbk2: Thanks for your comments. Do you think I might get 3-5HP increase?

czardingus: Thanks for the info on other vendor--much better price but under "sales" on their website it says "We do not sell to the public, but can refer you to a dealer in your area."
Old 04 May 2003, 08:44 am
Fanatic Cruiser

"Just purchased a cold air intake from someone that makes them in Florida. He prototyped it from his own car, it's chrome and it fits into the fenderwell where the original was. You can also run a 21/2" piece of flexible heater duct hose from there, down to the opening beside the driving light. He claims with the flex hose setup that you can gain another 1 1/2 to 2 psi of boost due to all of the fresh cold air coming in.
Haven't gotten it yet, should be sometime next week. From the picture he sent it looks like a nice setup. Cheap too, $175.00.
Phil" Gary this setup looks like a better deal. Hopefully this guy will test and report back ! As far as the Air-max setup ,I guess it's possible to give that much gain,but my butt dyno isn't calibrated ,lol!
\'03 Electric Blue 5 speed GT, addco oversize sways,wildfire strut bar,color-matched rear muds,xenon sides/\"crusher\",mirrors,b&c pillars,both interior consoles,b&m sport shifter,autometer ultralite gauges,Mopar STG 1 ,booger shift bushings,mopar bov,AMX turbo up pipe,Prototype turbo ucp, 05 intake, map clamp
Old 04 May 2003, 09:20 am
Fanatic Cruiser

The only possible downside about using the inlet by the foglight is that the inlet was designed to cool the calipers and rotor for the front brakes..

I don't know if this is of any consequence or not. I don't see the same treatment for the rear brake setup, but keep in mind that the front brakes are proportioned to do a greater amount of braking than the rear ones.
Old 04 May 2003, 11:58 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Dalite that's very true...so the best design would/could be install a y-pipe in opening,run 1 side of y to air box ,second side aimed towards to wheel ! It's still in thought stage yet ........[|)]
Old 04 May 2003, 03:09 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Steve03GT

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dalite

The only possible downside about using the inlet by the foglight is that the inlet was designed to cool the calipers and rotor for the front brakes..
Another potential downside, with the air intake inlet at that low elevation, is "hydro-lock", where water is "sucked" into the engine while driving thru "deep" water. This has happened numerous times with F-Body cars, Mustangs and Vettes that used low inlet-air intake systems. I could gain 15+ hp w/ my S/C'd Vette, but I'm not willing to take the chance.

\'02 Corvette (510 RWHP/510 TQ)
Member of 11sec. club &
NRA Benefactor Member
Old 05 May 2003, 04:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've seen that hydro-lock happen in person on a 94 Firebird with a cold air setup that pulled low. Luckily he didn't break anything because he was idling, but spark plugs and sensors had to be removed to drain the water from the block.

Although I have many friends with that type of setup on their ImpalaSS that haven't had that problem, I went another route. If you do run a hose down low stay away from puddles[]
Old 05 May 2003, 05:31 pm
Cool Cruiser

I've been running a CAI on my Dodge Neon R/T for over two years and have survived many a Texas Gully washer without hydrolock. Just keep out of water that reaches the doors.

Mike