PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A real cold air intake system for the turbo!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 May 2003, 01:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default A real cold air intake system for the turbo!

I did this to my turbo last September and if you want really cold (ourside) air and to hear the turbo swoosh and the blow off valve pop then take a look!

I cut a 2-1/2" hole through the firewall, cut and added a screen to the black plastic cover, added a cone K&N filter under the cover and ran it straight to the turbo inlet with 2-1/2" tubing and 90-degree elbows. All the sounds that you could want and nothing but fresh outside air! BTW, with this setup you DO NOT want to remove the rubber seal at the back of the hood! Too much heat from the engine makes its way to the intake!

However, I can't report any great gains in HP. The track times before and after only netted about .1 seconds in the 1/8 mile. This is with the exhaust system changed to a 3" hi-flo cat, 3" straight pipe into a 3" in to twin 2-1/4" out glass-pack muffler. Again, it sounds great. Deep throaty roar, not high-pitched like a ricer!
Old 04 May 2003, 03:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to sakigt

Very nifty cowl induction....Good idea for anyone who doesnt want to buy the ram air hood.

14.67 @ 94.5 <--- Self Proclaimed Fastest East Coast PT with Black wheels!!!
Old 04 May 2003, 04:19 pm
Young Cruiser

That is a really cool idea man. Kinda hard to believe it only made a .1 sec diff though. Thats too bad, maybe someone could conduct some more extensive testing on this, it seems like it has the potential to add decent power. BTW, I give you props for not being afraid to do a little R&D on your car, even when it takes a little cutting[^][?]
Old 05 May 2003, 07:47 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to 03baggedturbo

that is a realy good idea.. when you did that did you use your stock air filter? also how is it pointed.. asking because of rain or water comming in? Also wierd how you didnt get any hp gains.. or at least better at the track.. maby the weather conditions were different or something because I dynoed my pt then took the air filter out and had a gain of almost 23hp..
Old 05 May 2003, 08:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have a K&N cone filter on the open end of the tube under the cowl.

In regards to the water, the inlet is above the base of the cowl area, so no water gets in. I do however, when I wash it, tape over the opening since the water gets more directed into the opening.

I need to upgrade the photos, tho, since I have changed it since they were taken. Instead of making the 90 degree turn towards the turbo, I now have a 45-degree pipe coming over the shock tower and then down to the original intake of the air box, which was removed. From there I use a 90-degree elbow directly into the air box. I still use the K&N replacement filter in the air box. From there, I used the same 2-1/2" tubing & elbows to take it down to the turbo, replacing the stock down tube. It cuts some of the swoosh and popping, but not all. It can still be heard.

I'll post some new photos tonite when I get home.

Stage I, custom 3\" exhaust & Cowl Intake, Mopar BOV, Dual gauge pod w/vac-boost & A/F meters, Hood Struts, Yokohama ES-100\'s
Best 1/4 so far: 14.489 @ 93.65, best 1/8: 9.222 @ 74.261
Old 06 May 2003, 12:00 am
Regular Cruiser

Here are the updated photos showing the new routing that I described above.

This gives me double filters, both K&N's, and reduces the sound level a bit. All of the silencers within the air box have been removed as well.

Stage I, custom 3\" exhaust & Cowl Intake, Mopar BOV, Dual gauge pod w/vac-boost & A/F meters, Hood Struts, Yokohama ES-100\'s
Old 06 May 2003, 02:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

On the current setup, I doubt that you are seeing much air coming in from the cowl as the pipe leading into the airbox does not appear to be sealed to the box. I would imagine it is more of an obstruction at this point since it blocks the most direct path for air to take and anything that comes through the cowl has to turn twice to get to the airbox. Your original thought was probably a better setup.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 06 May 2003, 03:35 pm
Regular Cruiser

Cal Cruzer,

Sorry, but the elbow into the air box is sealed from the inside. You can't tell or see it from the photo. I am indeed getting fresh outside air into the air box and then to the turbo. I'll admit it is a bit more contorted than the original concept. However, the sound is significantly reduced from the original as well, making it drivable. Initially, you couldn't hear yourself think, it was so loud! It really sounded like the cruiser was having a hissy fit every time you took off!

Old 11 Jul 2003, 10:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Dave,

I'm very interested in your under cowl intake but all of the pictures are gone. Could you email them to me please? garys561@bellsouth.net.

I am either going to move my filter to the area under the cowl or mount the tank for my alcohol/water injection system in that space. How large is the open area under the cowl?

I tried to access your website by it is shut down and my e-mail to you was blocked.
Greddy Turbo Timer
AGP factory surge valve blockoff plate
AGP/TurboXS Type H-RFL BOV
160 degree thermostat
Magnacore plug wires
Champion RE14PLP5 Double Platinum plugs gapped .050\"
Screamin Demon coil
Momo shift knob
3 gauge pillar pod with Autometer Lunar boost, EGT and oil pressure gauges
Stewart Warner Shift Light
Streamline Designs third brake light overlay \"Turbo Cruzer\"
Rear splash guards
Rear spoiler
Hidden Hitch
Ichiban pedals
Streetglow Xenon headlight and foglight bulbs
PCV line oil seperator
Firestone Firehawk SZ50 215/50R17 tires
PT Tuning axle back exhaust and muffler
Mr. Dyno vehicle performance computer
Pioneer DEH-P77DH AM/FM/CD
Kenwood KSC-WA62RC — The WooX 30w x 2 powered subwoofer
Old 14 Jul 2003, 12:32 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The words sound great, but my browser sees no photos either.
I am amazed that with the induction, and the low restriction exhaust there seems to be so little HP improvement.