Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mopar performance 2.5-inch dual exhaust system

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Aug 2005, 10:53 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Mopar performance 2.5-inch dual exhaust system

I have never been happy with my BTG axle-back exhaust muffler (even after adding a resonator) so it recently was replaced by Mopar performance duals. BTG claims their single axle-back exhaust is not loud on a turbo but, from my experience, it was very loud on my turbo and had a bad "harmonic drone" at 3K RPM until a resonator was installed. So, after almost two years, I decided the BTG had to go. The Mopar performance 2.5-inch stainless steel free-flow dual exhaust system by Borla was recently installed on my STAGE 1 Turbo GT and I'm very pleased with it. The system is custom-made to fit the 2003-2004 turbos so it is a perfect fit. While I am not sure if I gained any additional horsepower the larger pipe lets the turbo "breathe better" and it seems to "spool up" faster. The sound is awesome. My Cruiser now sounds like a finely-tuned Indy 500 race car instead of a street hot rod like it did with the BTG single axle-back exhaust. [u]There is absolutely NO harmonic drone</u>. The Mopar stainless-steel dual exhaust is right for me--sharp-looking, great sound, and a fine performance addition to my S1 turbo car! [8D] [8)]

See PICS of my
2004 Seamist Green GT-146 Limited Edition Cruiser at: http://www.ptcruiserclub.org/galleri...2/gallery1.htm
Old 08 Aug 2005, 12:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the report . . .

I really don't want a loud or droning exhaust . . . just a nice deep burble. Sounds like the Mopar system provides that. Been reading and looking for some time at the BTG and MeanGreen's HeartThrob system, but they are simply too loud for my old ears. From your pics it appears you eliminated the resonator you added to your previous BTG . . . so you are running 'stock' with Mopar exhaust, yes??

Been pleased with other Mopar mods so far
Stage 1 . . . BOV . . . Shifter . . . Cabin filter . . .
Sounds (pun intended) like another winner!![^]
Dream Cruiser II #624
Staged . . Sprung . . Swayed . . Shifted . . Shaved . . . Shiny
Old 08 Aug 2005, 02:35 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PT2NV

Thanks for the report . . .

...just a nice deep burble. Sounds like the Mopar system provides that....From your pics it appears you eliminated the resonator you added to your previous BTG . . . so you are running 'stock' with Mopar exhaust, yes??...
Yes, I'm running "stock" 2.5-inch Mopar/Borla duals without any resonator. They have a deep mellow but aggressive tone with some "deep burbles and popping" only when "backing-off" or down-shifing gears. However, there is room to install a resonator should one feel it is needed. I think the sound of this exaust is "near perfect" and do not plan on adding a resonator. My wife now enjoys riding in the car at highway speeds with the moon-roof open as the Mopar dual exhaust has a quiet pleasant sound. [^] [8D]
Old 09 Aug 2005, 03:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptdreamer

I agree with you there Gary. Borla did a real nice job with this system. [?]
I used my tax return this year to get mine. (Discovered that Dealers will price-match) It has a nice respectable rumble, but won't offend your more sensitive neighbors [8)]
<font color=\"blue\">\'04 Dream #765 - KN Drop-in, Mopar/Borla Dual Exhaust, Fuzzy Dice, Chrome dice vent knobs... </font id=\"blue\">

Old 10 Aug 2005, 06:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Does anyone know if this exhaust would work with a trailer hitch? Would the hitch interfere with the location of the exhaust on either side?
Old 10 Aug 2005, 06:56 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by warnercc

Does anyone know if this exhaust would work with a trailer hitch? Would the hitch interfere with the location of the exhaust on either side?
My guess is that it may be OK but I don't know. [:I] The Mopar/Borla dual exhaust "clears" the spare-tire housing OK.

The following information may help: http://www.borla.com/media/installations/140044.pdf

You may want to e-mail Mopar or Borla. Good luck.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 01:08 am
Dedicated Cruiser

It looks like to me that there is enough space for it to work with a trailer hitch. [8D]

Old 15 Aug 2005, 04:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I tried the Borla Duals a few years ago at the Block Party and it was very quiet for an after market system. It ran pretty quiet and even at WOT was just a little louder than the intake. They look great and Chrysler swore they made more power than stock. Only drawback is that they look complicated and cost a lot of money. In this case you get what you pay for as it will last longer than the car.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 16 Aug 2005, 10:19 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT
...Only drawback is that they look complicated and cost a lot of money. In this case you get what you pay for as it will last longer than the car.
They may look complicated but are really a "simple and straight-forward" design. The price is reasonable for an all stainless-steel dual exhaust system. The Mopar MSRP for the duals is $485 but I got mine at discount from my local DC dealer--$436.50 including shipping. You can buy them online from Tommy Thrift (Haynes Speed Shop) for about $410 plus shipping.
Old 06 Sep 2005, 11:42 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SteelBlueGT

I tried the Borla Duals a few years ago at the Block Party and it was very quiet for an after market system. It ran pretty quiet and even at WOT was just a little louder than the intake. than the car...
The longer this dual exhaust system is on my car the better I like it! With about 1100 miles on it since installation the sound continues to "mellow" and there is ABSOLUTELY NO HARMONIC DRONE under any driving conditions. If you are looking for a quiet exhaust system but with an aggressive deep tone and no drone then Mopar/Borla duals is something to seriously consider. [8]