Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Mystery Oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Aug 2005, 08:58 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Mystery Oil

Had some tapping noise coming from the engine. I had just had an oil change.

I remembered having spent time working with a master mechanic who would tear down big diesel engines from earth moving equipment. He could rebuild them in the company shop. He even had patents for tools that he had designed for working on these motors. He always swore on the benefits of Marvel Mystery Oil. He would compare motors that had used the supplement to those without and it was always evident that those that used the supplement lasted longer with less wear. He used the oil in his personal car and pickup truck as well. Well, I went to my local ACE Hardware and picked up a jug of this stuff and added some to the oil and gas. Within a 10-15 minute drive I stopped and let the engine idle. No more noise. Two days later, still no noise. I know that the manufacturers frown on supplements, but this stuff works.
Old 13 Aug 2005, 11:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Herschel

When I was turning wrenches for a living, we used to
use that oil on our air tools. Displaces moisture. H.
Old 14 Aug 2005, 03:42 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

What are you using for oil? "regular" or synthetic? My father used to swear by the stuff, but I got away from it with synthetic oil, and in the gas I'm afraid of what it'll do to converter.[:I]

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 14 Aug 2005, 06:00 pm
Young Cruiser

I'm using regular oil. Have Stage I, AMX pipes, modified air box with drop in K&N filter and Flowmaster exhaust. 2003 GT with autostick.
Old 15 Aug 2005, 07:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mel K

I'm using regular oil. Have Stage I, AMX pipes, modified air box with drop in K&N filter and Flowmaster exhaust. 2003 GT with autostick.
I'd recommend Mobil 1. I use it in all my cars, lawnmowers, snowblowers, etc. I had a '92 Dodge Spirit. At about 155,000 miles, it "ate" a valve guide. I saw the head on the mechanic's bench, and it was all clean and shiny - I asked him what he'd used to get it so clean - he said, "Nothing - that's the way it came off". (That car made it to 195,000 miles, engine going strong, auto trans decided to stop shifting). If I had any doubts about whether synthetic was worth it, that erased them for me.
Synthetic is also better at handling the temps a turbo generates.
Old 21 Aug 2005, 09:34 pm
Young Cruiser

I personally love Royal Purple oil. It is one of the few synthetics out there that really does give a slight power and mileage increase. Enough to actually notice a difference. Napa and O'Reily's carry it and some Kwik Kars offer it too. I use Marvel in my air tools and it works great on them but would only use it in my older vehicles like my '72 Duster and '76 F150.