Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
.028 plug gap??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2005, 09:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default .028 plug gap??

I read some post lately about gapping the iridium plugs at .028 for best results. From what I read, there is also less chance of detonation at high boost levels with the lower gap. I DON'T know if that is really true, but gave it a try. Very good results especially at higher RPM's. The engine feels as if it isn't as labored under WOT as it did before. There also isn't as much vibration through the stick shift as before. If your ride is feeling a little sluggish, you might want to lower your gap and check out it.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:22 am
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

I thought .028 was for the denso irridiums? And if I'm not mistaken, someone on the forums got a check engine light by gapping too low. I could be wrong though, keep us posted on long term results!
Old 28 Aug 2005, 01:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

I would go with .33, i have tried all those plugs and different gaps from .28 to .45 and .33 is the best all around for low end to high end rpms. Just talk to AGP Turbo if you want more research proof. [8)]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 28 Aug 2005, 03:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Oh btw, i am now running AGP's modified and remachined NGK plugs. the copper ones, you don't need anything else unless you are making more power than i am. In otherwords like 350+hp[?]

TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
Old 28 Aug 2005, 03:33 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZ_IceMan

Oh btw, i am now running AGP's modified and remachined NGK plugs. the copper ones, you don't need anything else unless you are making more power than i am. In otherwords like 350+hp[?]
IceMan, have you been to the dyno? Sorry, I don't see 350+hp worth of mods. I had 90% of those mods or the equivalent on my GT and I know I wasn't that high.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:12 pm
Regular Cruiser

Haven't been to the dyno yet...going probably in the next month. Also I am not claiming to have almost 350+hp.I should have clarified that the iridiums are recommended for that power range and up. Below that,stick with copper. Sorry for any confusion, [8] Curious to see what i put down power wise, cause I regularly pull away from stage 2 srt's. [8)][?] So i am thinking from what the stage 2's here locally are putting down, (which is 254whp and 280tq give or take 5) are pretty impressive. Gotta remember too, our cruisers are what i like to call... "Factory Fatbacks". The srt has a 400lb+ weight advantage and better aerodynamics.

Old 28 Aug 2005, 02:03 pm
Cool Cruiser

I do have the denso's so that's why I tried it. Have not gotten any codes yet but you never know. Thanks AZ for the info. I think I'm going to get new plugs now that I've got S1 on order along w/ 3" o2 housing. What $$ is AGP getting for thier modified plugs? I haven't decided what to get yet.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 02:13 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by AZ_IceMan

Haven't been to the dyno yet...going probably in the next month. Also I am not claiming to have almost 350+hp.I should have clarified that the iridiums are recommended for that power range and up. Below that,stick with copper. Sorry for any confusion, [8] Curious to see what i put down power wise, cause I regularly pull away from stage 2 srt's. [8)][?] So i am thinking from what the stage 2's here locally are putting down, (which is 254whp and 280tq give or take 5) are pretty impressive. Gotta remember too, our cruisers are what i like to call... "Factory Fatbacks". The srt has a 400lb+ weight advantage and better aerodynamics.
I never got a chance to dyno my GT before I traded it in for my '05 SRT-4. I'll be interested in seeing what numbers you get on the dyno. When I flipped the switch to the 2nd stage of the bc it was scary [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 28 Aug 2005, 02:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali

I do have the denso's so that's why I tried it. Have not gotten any codes yet but you never know. Thanks AZ for the info. I think I'm going to get new plugs now that I've got S1 on order along w/ 3" o2 housing. What $$ is AGP getting for thier modified plugs? I haven't decided what to get yet.
The 3" o2 housing won't help that much really, and its really tricky to not get any exhaust leaks in that area once you break the seal there. Just get a 3" downpipe and flow through exhaust, and you will see the same gains and not worry about leaks. the agp plugs go for about $100 whick includes the wires, remachined shorter plugs and the socket you need to put them on. [^]

Old 28 Aug 2005, 10:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, I got the E.D. o2 housing and high flow cat off ebay for $97, so I thought it was worth it. Besides, I'm going to have a shop do the install and fab up the 3" pipe for the downpipe w/high flow cat, so I'm not worried about the leak issue. I've got the plug wire set and socket that fit the NGK/AGP modified plugs, the same ones came with my Denso's, so I'm going to order them up to go with S1.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.