Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Pinging on acceleration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2005, 01:25 am
Young Cruiser

Default Pinging on acceleration

'05 GT w/autostick. 3500 miles......always use "toptier" premium from QT. A/C is on all the time(supposed to be 112' tomorrow)....when I put my foot in it on the highway(cruising at 80, punch it up to 95/100), it pings. Around town under heavy stop light acceleration, no ping. Normal?
Old 29 Aug 2005, 05:57 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

Not necessarily. Could be that you just got a bad batch of gas, I don't go to QT anymore by the way. I drive around and look for a shell or chevron station. Maybe the occasional mobil. But anyhow, also did you check your spark plugs? if the gap is too open then yes, at high rpms you would ping. [V]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 29 Aug 2005, 12:12 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Pinging on a new GT with only 3500 miles on it is not normal. My 04GT/Autostick has never pinged under any driving conditions. If available in your area, I would recommend trying Chevron Supreme (91 octane) gas which I have used exclusively in my car with great results. If your spark plugs gap was set incorrectly at the factory this might also be a possible cause of the problem. The recommended gap is .050. When my plugs were recently replaced at 15K miles the gap had expanded in all of them to .055. Inspite of this gap increase I never experienced a pinging problem. Good luck.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 12:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MY OPINION.
You should not have pinging. Make dealer fix it.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 29 Aug 2005, 02:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

[|)] What QSD said. This is for 2 reasons. First, so that the car is checked and hopefully fixed. Second, so that the problem is documented early. Any problems you have should be documented ASAP. That way the dealer and Mfgr. can't say it's not covered or something you did. You might want to describe the speed that it happens at a more "legal" range, so they don't come back with the dreaded "abuse" tag.

2004 Dark Plum Base with windows tinted, cabin filter, silencers removed, fog lights, 18\'s, all Red taillights, Blaine\'s struts, modesty cover, color-matched center dash, 06 rear bumper
Old 29 Aug 2005, 08:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by coolvanillagt

'05 GT w/autostick. 3500 miles......always use "toptier" premium from QT. A/C is on all the time(supposed to be 112' tomorrow)....when I put my foot in it on the highway(cruising at 80, punch it up to 95/100), it pings. Around town under heavy stop light acceleration, no ping. Normal?
I have the same issue when the temp gets up towards 95-100 degrees. blown cars just don't like a lot of hot air since we generate so much of our own. My car is happiest around 85 degrees and below.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 30 Aug 2005, 01:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Does it ping while sitting in the driveway and reving up to 3,000 RPM? I heard what I thought was pinging (sounds like crickets right?) on my '03 GT everytime it would rev high. I use 93 octane.

When I was able to listen more closely to it, it didn't seem like pinging. The dealer suggested it was a belt, and that apears to have fixed it.

http://www.pbase.com/robinjoe/pt_cruiser
Old 30 Aug 2005, 02:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robinjoe

(sounds like crickets right?)
I would describe pinging as sounding like loose bolts being shaken in a tin can...
Old 30 Aug 2005, 04:17 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by robinjoe
...sounds like crickets right...The dealer suggested it was a belt, and that apears to have fixed it.
Usually when a "cricket" appears if signifies that your belts need adjustment and/or lubrication. Glad you got the problem fixed. Sounds like your dealer knows his stuff. [8D]
Old 01 Sep 2005, 04:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

Under hard acceleration and very high ambient temps and going uphill mine will ping with 91 Octane. It is a lot worse if I use regular 87 octane too. Moral of the story is always use premium fuel in the summer if you want safe full throttle acceleration.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.