PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

downpipe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2005, 10:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Default downpipe

I am going to be putting on my Maxx fab downpipe next weekend and I had a question I hope someone could answer. Will I need to replace a gasket between the downpipe and the O2 housing or is there one there? If so, any help with a part number or where to get it would be greatly appreciated. Also, about how long is an O2 sensor suppose to last? [:I]
Old 03 Sep 2005, 07:55 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

there is a gasket there, you are going to have a hell of a time getting the stock downpipe off though. The very top bolt, the one you can't see and barely feel has a lock washer on it. I had to cut the bolt off while it was still on the car with a dremel cutoff wheel. [B)] needless to say, this stupid bolt made an extra 3hrs work for me. but now i know, and you do too. Not sure on the O2 sensor question though.

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 05 Sep 2005, 01:55 pm
Senior Cruiser

the 02 sensor is an emission part and must last 100,000 miles or the scheduled maintenance is spose to be paid for by the manufactuter. That is why they say the timing belt will last 100,000 miles cause they are too cheap to replace it at 60,000 miles for free!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 06 Sep 2005, 11:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Gunner,

I replaced the gasket when I put on my Maxxfab downpipe. I don't have the P/N available right now, but I just went to the dealership parts department and asked for the part. That said, my old gasket was fine and probably didn't need to be replaced.

The install of the downpipe is easy and the bolts are not hard to get to as AZ_IceMan states. I think he's talking about replacing the O2 housing. You can do the job easily with the car on ramps.

Three of the bolts on the flange are studs that stay in the O2 housing and the fourth is a nut and bolt. There is one really important thing about removing the nuts - which are lock nuts - USE SOME WD40 OR LIQUID WRENCH OR SIMILAR ON THEM BEFORE YOU LOOSEN THEM. The type of lock nuts used can tend to cross thread on removal, and if they do you will have a problem. If they start to get hard to turn when removing them, don't force them. Thread them back on a little and add some lube and work them off carefully.
Old 07 Sep 2005, 10:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Jonh M, SteelBlue GT & AZ IceMan - Thanks for the info about the the bolts and the gasket! I'm a little nervous about doing this, but the horsepower bug has bitten me bad. I'm hoping to do some more mods next year. I have Stage I, Borla cat back and an Airaid "cold" air intake. I was wondering what you guys have done to your PT's in the hordepower arena. What worked well and what didn't. I would appreciate any feedback you could send my way. Thanks again
Old 07 Sep 2005, 11:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

[^]gunner. I just put a new plastic intake manifold on my 03GT, and I can't believe the diffrance in power & torque plus I get better milage For the money it's a great mod (looks good too)
Old 08 Sep 2005, 07:41 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to AZ_IceMan

I just did the same last night as well.I put on the plastic intake manifold. Plus i have an AGP WGA, stage 1, AGP custom plugs and wires, mopar bov, trubendz 3" dp, and custom 3" exhaust, turboxs dual stage boost controller, boost and tranny guages, upcharge pipe and custom cold air intake using the stock airbox, and ummm, thats about it, oh and using 22/45/17 tires on the stock rims. [?]

PrototypePower Performance UpCharge Pipe, Custom Cold Air Intake
Mopar Blow Off Valve, Mopar Stage ? Mopar Stage 1 PCM, AGP WasteGate Actuator,
TurboXS Dual Stage Boost Controller, TruBendz 3\" DownPipe with Custom 3\" Dual Exhaust,
NGK V-Power Plugs and AGP Performance Wires,
Autometer A-Pillar Pod with Boost/Trans Temp Guages
Old 21 Sep 2005, 10:46 pm
Young Cruiser

Just wanted to give an update on the downpipe install. I had problems with two of the bolts but eventually was able to set them free. I'm not sure what kind of HP gains I got, but man does it sound a HELL of alot meaner. It really made the Borla duals come to life!!! I am going to head to the strip for the first time this weekend since I have owned the car. Saturday night 6 to 10, as many runs as you can get in for $15. I can't think of a better way to part with $15. I try to let you all know how it went. Wish me luck!! [8)]