PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
MOPAR Cold-Air Intake Review

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Sep 2005, 11:20 am
Young Cruiser

Default MOPAR Cold-Air Intake Review

First, I'm starting this thread not to argue the difference between a metal and plastic intake,intake temperatures, etc... This is simply a review of the product.

After reviewing the information on the website, I decided to go ahead and order the new MOPAR Cold-Air Intake kit, specifically for the GT. I paid under $300 shipped for this intake system, and thought I might share some pictures and my own review as well.

Upon ordering the kit, I was expecting plastic tubing and a gun-metal heat shield like that listed on mopar.com. What I recieved certainly was not plastic, but rather aluminum.

The heat shield is a VERY nice design. Unlike the previously installed K&N on my old PT, I feel that MOPAR design provides the maximum coverage that one could want or expect. There are three locations that hold the heat shield in place: The first location retains the stock bolt location below the air-box, commonly used by any air-intake system that uses a heat shield. The second bracket uses the middle strut-tower nut to anchor the heat shield, and the third is located between the battery and the tranny mount. This is a tricky bolt/nut combination to pry loose; make sure you have a set of wratches around. Foam edging is also provided to help seal the heat shield under the hood.

The tubing has a nice silver-grey finish to it; however, the some-what cheap vinyl 'MOPAR' emblem mimics nothing more than re-badged AEM tubing (commonly seen on the MOPAR SRT-4 intake systems). The filter also bears the MOPAR logo, and is blue in color.

Overall, the system has a very free-flowing design, and the heat shield is more than adequate. It provides noticeble "foot-feel" power-gains. While many of you have noted that the intake system is expensive, you may expect the pricing around $275 shipped, which is somewhat comparable to the K&N.

DYNO sheets will be added this week; Pictures can be found below.

Hope this helps!
Old 08 Sep 2005, 08:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to TurboCruiser13

It's a very nice lookin peice compared to some others I have seen. The one question I had was wether or not there was a bottom peice on the heatshield. Reason I ask is it seems like heat from the transmission would come up from underneath the intake and it wouldn't be as efficient as it could be. Other than that, I'm sure it sounds and performs to your liking
Old 09 Sep 2005, 12:04 am
Veteran Cruiser

Do you think that one part of the heat shield attached to the strut nut could be a problem for a strut bar. I know when I installed the BTG strut bar on my GT there might not be room to attach it and when securing the bracket for the strut bar there were just enough threads on the strut bolts to secure the nuts.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Sep 2005, 01:43 am
Young Cruiser

Mean, if there was a washer between the bar and the top of the tower I would think you could remove it and you should have enough room.

blueberry, does the tube connect to the turbo or to to factory tube before the turbo?
Old 09 Sep 2005, 03:25 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fodder4U

Mean, if there was a washer between the bar and the top of the tower I would think you could remove it and you should have enough room.

blueberry, does the tube connect to the turbo or to to factory tube before the turbo?
But the shield has to go on the strut bolt and the strut bolts are not long enough. Here's a pic of the strut bar.

No room there. If you aren't running the strut bar you are ok.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Sep 2005, 09:00 am
Young Cruiser

TURBO CRUISER -- The heatshield does cover the transmission mount. The design isn't far off from the K&N with the except of the heat shield connecting to the strut tower bolt.

FODDER4U -- The tube extends to a 90 degree coupler which connects to the turbo itself.

MEAN GREEN -- I have not yet received my strut bar (the BTG as well). I also have the same question as you -- whether or not it would fit with the bar... my guess is probably not, with the way you have described it... I guess it could be altered, but that seems a bit wasteful, IMO

Best ET : 14.1 @ 98 MPH [Automatic]

Mopar Stage 1, Mopar 2.5\" Exhaust, Mopar BOV, Mopar/KW Variant 3 Coilovers, Eibach Sway Bars, 225/45/17 Goodyear GSD3 Tires, MPSC Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, PTeazer Rollpan, \'06 Taillights, Mopar Navigation and Subwoofer</font id=\"navy\">

<font color=\"red\"> <b>2005 Crossfire SRT-6 </b>

Best ET : 13.4 @ 108 MPH
</font id=\"red\">
Old 09 Sep 2005, 12:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Simple solution if you have the BTG strut tower brace--use the stock airbox less the silencers, add the K & N drop-in performance air filter, and replace the stock turbo to airbox pipe with a custom-made 3-inch diameter "Brand X" TTAB Pipe. This worked for me. [8]

Old 09 Sep 2005, 02:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Another possiblility is go with the Freedon strut bar which is more compact in design and my just fit!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 12 Sep 2005, 10:30 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Looks similar to K&N FIPK.
You should consider a catch can on the breather hose into the intake - there and off PCV valve on passenger side - keep oil out of throttle body.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2005, 03:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

This Mopar CAI looks suspiciously like the design of the AEM Intake that they prototyped on my '03 GT...which at the time, I expressed concern about using the strut tower bolts to attach the heat shield. I didn't have my Freedom Design strut bar at the time, but it was on order and as I suspected (and Mean Green noted), there isn't enough bolt / thread to install both with enough confidence for me. Personally, I like my stock airbox, brand x TTAB pipe and strut bar better than the AEM intake setup.