Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
which plugs to buy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Sep 2005, 01:04 am
Regular Cruiser

Default which plugs to buy

Well, I have not been to the forums in awhile, but need to change plugs and wanted to see what everyone is using. I did a search and saw that there are some choices to the cooper, but which one?

I have a 2004 Stage 1 otherwise stock car. NGK, V power, Iridum, ??? My main goal is durability and mileage, power being secondary. My mileage has dropped off, so I am suspecting plugs and wires. Otherwise I have the K&N filter, up pipe with all snorkels removed, and stock turbo, boost etc.

I do not mind spending a few bucks if it is worth it, and I did see to gap them down.

Thanks

Mike
Old 15 Sep 2005, 02:20 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Recommend that you use Mopar Copper Plus Champion Spark Plugs (Part #RE16MC for N/A & RE14MCC5 for turbo) gapped to .040. This has worked very well on my "S1" GT turbo car.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 02:24 am
Senior Cruiser

My NGK Iridiums are working real well for me. Much smoother than old factory plugs with 33,000 miles on them!! As soon as I installed those plugs at the factory gap of .052 I could feel the smoothness. I dont have any dyno numbers and gas mileage only changed about .2 mpg.
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 12:33 pm
Regular Cruiser

I noticed the Iridiums are not resistor plugs, has anyone noticed radio noise after installing these?

Mike
Old 15 Sep 2005, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nozzano22

I noticed the Iridiums are not resistor plugs, has anyone noticed radio noise after installing these?

Mike
I don't think that's been an issue for a while.....
I do know what you mean, I had a car I put solid wires in that was an audio tachometer when radio was on, but I've heard no reports of that for years.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Sep 2005, 07:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Mike,
I replied to your emial, but in all truthfullness, the iridium plugs are WAY better than the NGK copper or Champs. The Denso ITV 20 or the NGK iridium 2315's are just a truly superior plug.(both one step colder than stock) I tested my stock plugs v.s. NGK 4306 copper v.s. Denso ITV 16's and the Denso's just blow away those plugs. And the 16's are the same heat range as stock. I ordered the ITV22(2 steps colder) for my S1/WGA/BC set-up. A lot of guys running big turbos are using the iridiums.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 15 Sep 2005, 09:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nozzano22

Mike
No problem on mine ...
Old 16 Sep 2005, 04:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali

Mike,
I replied to your emial, but in all truthfullness, the iridium plugs are WAY better than the NGK copper or Champs. The Denso ITV 20 or the NGK iridium 2315's are just a truly superior plug.(both one step colder than stock) I tested my stock plugs v.s. NGK 4306 copper v.s. Denso ITV 16's and the Denso's just blow away those plugs. And the 16's are the same heat range as stock. I ordered the ITV22(2 steps colder) for my S1/WGA/BC set-up. A lot of guys running big turbos are using the iridiums.
Butt dyno talking and we know what that is worth. Until you can show numbers it is only an opinion and justification for costly plugs. My GT with all of the mods and copper plus plugs ran extremely fast and well. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:40 am
Senior Cruiser

No radio interference at all for my NGK Iridiums! Are you sure about them being non resistor type? Cause in my other cars (years ago) I did get lots of radio interference on the AM band with racing plugs and wires!!
06 GT Auto, Cool Vanila Exterior, Presto Change O 3bl, Cargo Mat and Net, Billet Oil Cap, Yoko Avid 4Vs Tires, 03 GT Wheels, 4 Chrome Door Handle Screw Covers, MOPAR Mud Flaps, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Freedom Strut Tower Bar, Rear Door Sill Covers.
Old 16 Sep 2005, 06:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

The "R" in the part number designates resistor. Look in the "more info" for a complete iridium plug description.