Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Rubber/Squish Noise when turning. TSB?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Oct 2005, 10:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Rubber/Squish Noise when turning. TSB?

My 03' GT has developed a rubber squish noise when turning the wheels side to side. I thought there was a TSB but I can not find it. It is not a click and not a whistle(unless the whistle sounds like rubber twisting?) If you can point me to another web site with specific bulletin section, it would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 25 Oct 2005, 10:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like tires to me.[:I]
Old 25 Oct 2005, 10:48 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 2step

Sounds like tires to me.[:I]
Are you trying to be funny? Because if you are, you're not. Please pardon me if your being serious.

It is coming from and is definitely related to the steering. I used the rubber/ squish to try to descibe the noise, but the noise is hydraulic fluid and I suspect the rack & pinion assy. I just wanted some info to back me up when I go to the dealer.
Thanks,
Old 26 Oct 2005, 01:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Actually I am serious so I do pardon you.

I posted that because It has occured with tires that I have had. OK, we have eliminated tires, clicks, whistles but maybe twists. Have you considered low fluid and/or air in the steering system? Have you checked the level? Bubbles will cause a noise like you described also.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 09:40 pm
Young Cruiser

I have the same sound in my '03, but have described it as a "groan"--I am tempted to take it in to the dealer before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.
Old 27 Oct 2005, 02:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'd describe mine as more of a squeak, but they replaced my Rack & Pinion assembly about 7500 miles ago and I'm just now hearing it again. I thought I've read where there were problems with the rack & pinion on the early PT's. Checked the NHTSA site for a TSB and couldn't find one, although there are several for the clicking and whistling noises from steering column.
Old 29 Oct 2005, 12:35 pm
Cool Cruiser

1ptturbo,

More than likely, you are hearing the "nylon rubbing sound." You know, the sound you hear when you rub your fingernail on a nylon windbreaker.

First, get under the car and look for the two power steering lines running to the bottom of the radiator. These lines will be a combination of metal and rubber tubing. The lines run side-by-side near the oil pan. If you see any liquid or a lot of dirt accumulation (oily dirt) on the metal-to-rubber joints or lines themselves, take it to the dealer immediately. You most like have a ruptured rack and pinion seal. I had this happen to me last year.

Make sure the power steering pump is properly filled.

Scott

Old 11 Nov 2005, 10:08 am
Young Cruiser

We're hearing this type of sound too, but only on Left turns (???)
Haven't isolated the cause yet, but it does seem to get better as tire pressures increase.....so try that 1ptturbo and see if it helps your symptoms.

I'll report back with any definitive findings (if any solution is found, that is [:I])
Brian [8)]
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 13 Nov 2005, 02:30 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I hear a high-pitched "er-r-r-r" on left and right turns.
Old 17 Nov 2005, 10:03 am
Young Cruiser

It turns out that in our case it was the LF wheel bearing going bad. Had it replaced (along with the clutch slave- both under warranty, thank God ) and now all is well once again in Cruiserdom [^]

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)