Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Flowmaster or Magnaflow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Nov 2005, 04:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Flowmaster or Magnaflow

when I went to buy the Flowmaster dual cat-back exhaust system for my 2006 GT Turbo, the exhaust shop said Flowmaster makes good power but on the PT Cruiser is very noisy for the street. he recommended Magnaflow, which he said made equal power, but had a softer rumble for the street. I want both more power, along with a richer sound. anyone have experience with one or both of these, and what is your evaluation about the noise - yes, I know we all have our own acceptance level, but would like to hear what you have to say. many thanks, Tom Green, Los Altos Hills, CA
another thought - have any of you in California replaced the catalytic converter with a free-flow cat? your thoughts? they have them that meet California regulations. thanks again
Old 05 Nov 2005, 04:29 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Flowmaster exhaust systems are great for n/a V-8s but I would not put one on a 2.4L turbo engine as it needs a totally "free-flow exhaust" to optain optimal performance. I had the all stainless-steel Magnaflow catback single exhaust with a resonator on my 03GT and liked it. It looked and sounded great (not too loud but nice deep and mellow tone). [8D] Between the two, I would definitely go with Magnaflow. Good luck. [8]

Old 06 Nov 2005, 04:26 am
Veteran Cruiser

Exhaust will not give you more power. A 2 1/2" flow through catback exhaust will help the turbo to spool up faster and give a better response with less turbo lag.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Nov 2005, 12:53 am
Cool Cruiser

I would go Magnaflow. I have a custom bendt system that uses a magnaflow resonator and I love the deep rumble it makes. Mine is louder than the system Magnaflow produces, but it has the same tone. You won't make any more top end power with the exhaust, but it will come on faster making the car feel and react quicker to throttle input. If you want Magnaflow and dual, just have the shop bend it for you.[^]
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 04:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Flowmaster or Magnaflow

I went with the magnalfow because allexhaust.com has it on sale.

I think either one you would be happy with it though.

here are all the options with sound clips

Search results :: www.ALLEXHAUST.com
Old 30 Aug 2007, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

guys, what do you think the power addition these exhausts add to PT HO turbos?
Old 30 Aug 2007, 09:59 am
Obsessed Cruiser

ZERO!! Sounds nice tho.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Aug 2007, 12:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
ZERO!! Sounds nice tho.
Yep, no hp gain, but turbo will spool a bit faster. Turbo cars hate restrictions in the exhaust.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 30 Aug 2007, 01:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have the Borla exausts on my PT. It's not noisey and no drone at speed. It does give a nice rich tone without making it sound like a fart. I've used Borla for years on other cars as well as the Borla Quad 4" exhausts I have currently on my Vette. It has high quality stainless steel and is light weight. Also, for the PT, they give you a pattern to use for making the cut out on the right side. I chose to have my friend in the body shop do it because I'm so mechanically inept. I'm real happy with it. Good luck in what every you choose.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.