Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stage 1 Emission Test and Warranty Concern

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:01 am
Young Cruiser

Default Stage 1 Emission Test and Warranty Concern

Just picked up a new 05 micro turbo last month and are planning a strategy for mods to the car. You all know, one major a year sort of thing. I have already done some simple cosmetic things like the Mr Mike welting and door dots, K&N drop in air filter, and some chrome do-dads that were simply things I could not pass up. My question are hopefully simple.

I live in Western Washington State and we suffer emission testing every other year on our cars. Does the stage 1 effect thee test? Also how doe sit stand up against the DC warranty? I got such a great deal through the COSTCO purchase plan that I could afford the extended coverage. I do not plan on putting it in jeopardy while it is still covering the wonderful little red car.

This posting is on other forums so if you see it twice I am sorry, however it emphasizes my quest to find the right answer.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance,[/
Old 23 Nov 2005, 10:04 am
Young Cruiser

From what I have read, the Stage 1 kit will still run clean enough to pass a tailpipe test. We don't (currently) have vehicle emission testing here in Michigan, so I don't have any personal experience with this issue.
The warranty question could be more complex I think. We bought our '03 GT from the original selling & servicing dealer as a Chrysler Certified Used Car, and since the dealership installed the kit (+ BOV) for the original owner before they traded it in it's all covered by both the factory warranty and the extended Certified Used Car warranty as well. Now, according to them if we subsequently purchased the S1 kit and installed it ourselves it would not have been covered....and in fact could have lead to 3/36 warranty problems as well.
I would talk to your dealer about it and see what they can do for you

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 23 Nov 2005, 11:56 am
Fanatic Cruiser

To date, I have not heard of a single Stage 1 equipt PT that failed the emissions test. Chrysler never claimed that it would pass but apparently it does based on user reports from tests in California and Texas.

2003 Almond GT AutoStick, body colored rear splash guards and hood struts, chrome gear shift, AC & vent knobs, billet steering wheel spokes and pedals, AMX1397 Turbo-Intake Pipe.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 12:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

As far as warranty: A member called HellCat on another forum blew his tranny with an Autostick GT and the dealer/Chrysler refuses to cover it because of his mods. He did add a few other items besides Stage 1 like WGA and Boost Controller. The weren't mentioned in the warranty refusal but others have said they were probably to blame for the refusal (can you tell if thoses things were added just by looking [:I]

He's shelling 2K to get it back on the road.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 01:05 pm
Young Cruiser

Cruzin, I read that post and t is what started my thinking that putting on a stage 1 might cause some trouble with a transmission not originally linked to that much extra horsepower.

I drive soft, in other words not a lead foot, but horsepower at times is just fun like jumping on an interstate or passing on a two-lane winding road.

My turbo light has lots of jump but the test drive in the GT model sure was fun.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 02:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Chip,

If it's just Stage 1 your thinking about adding, talk to your dealer and see if they will install it and keep your warranty intact.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 02:30 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chip...I drive soft, in other words not a lead foot, but horsepower at times is just fun like jumping on an interstate or passing on a two-lane winding road...
Unless you race your car I don't think you really have anything to worry about. [8] You only read on the forums of very few Autosticks going bad with or without STAGE 1. I have driven my car hard at times during the past 18 months "S1" has been installed and there have been no indications whatsoever of "any wear and tear" on the Autostick.
Old 23 Nov 2005, 09:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Why would you want to put the stage 1 on a car with an automatic???? You are putting that extra power in a tranny that already cant handle what it has and has a bad track record for failure. Now you can say that you will be O.K. if you dont race and drive normally....But then what is the point to install stage one if you are going to drive it no different than you do now. The Auto Tranny has been a problem for Chrysler for many years...
Old 23 Nov 2005, 11:44 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

Why would you want to put the stage 1 on a car with an automatic????
OK, all together now....

TO GO FAST!
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 24 Nov 2005, 05:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

TO GO FAST TO THE TRANNY SHOP THAT IS....