PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
5spd turbo Throttle Body upgrade

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Nov 2005, 11:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default 5spd turbo Throttle Body upgrade

If you've got a 5spd turbo, then your TB is goose necked to 46mm. Salvage one off an auto, and you've got yourself some easy bolt-on HP. The auto has a 52mm straight through. Just make sure you put in the sensors from the 5spd otherwise it will throw codes. It makes [8)]
Old 30 Nov 2005, 07:34 am
Cool Cruiser

So you are saying it's a direct bolt-on other than the sensors?

Did you notice any loss of power at the lower RPM's? I'm thinking Chrysler kept the TB smaller on the 5-spd to increase torque at lower RPM's. The automatic wouldn't need to do that since the torque converter is a torque multiplier as you start moving the car from a stop.

Deen
GT, 5-Spd, K&N filter, Stage I, AGP 3147 Big Turbo, DTEC Fuel Kit, Tial WGA, Greddy Profec EBC, DCR 55mm TB, 05 Plastic Manifold, 180 Deg. Stat, CCA FMIC, AMX hard-pipes, Water-Injection, STS shifter, Needswings 3\" DP w/dump and Borla Cat-back, BG Drop Springs, Eibach Sway Bars, Panther alloys & Eagle F1 Max-Performance Tires. Best run to date...12.93 @113.45MPH.
77 Blown Vette-runs 10\'s @ 136 MPH.
Old 30 Nov 2005, 09:04 am
Young Cruiser

Interesting....do you have any dyno plots you can post so we can see the before / after performance change?

Thanks,
Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 30 Nov 2005, 10:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes, it is a direct bolt-on and NO it does not reduce low end TQ. It improves it! A LOT! As for RPM's, I see less at the same speed now due to more power! And no, I don't have any dyno runs on this mod. If I did dyno runs before and after every mod, I wouldn't have the $$ to continue modding The last time I dyno'd I was at 211WHP and 246WTQ on S0(stock PCM) and 1/2 the mods I have now. I really do need to get some new #'s.
The sensors are a 5min deal, very simple as is the whole replacement. I would recommend the plastic intake manifold upgrade to go along with this TB change.
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 12:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

i am the one that found this out ad posted with a different crew. the stock t-body for the 5 speed is necked down with a curved bell mouthed thing so that it lets in less air on tip-in. it necks down to about 46mm the auto's don't have to worry about this because your not working throttle and clutch. it is a driveability thing for people that can't learn how to tip-in soft. it would not cause much difference on a stock car because of sir demands but on a car running higher boost it will make a big difference going from 46-52mm. the 5 speed would be 1661.06 square mm the auto would be 2122.64 square mm that is 461.58 more square mm which is around 25% more area.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 02:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

If you think that is good, check out Howell Automotive. They make alot of high performance parts for Neons and PTs. They sell a 55mm T.B. for $299. After you install you new T.B., send back your old one and they will refund you back the core charge of $100.00 for boreing it out. I hade this done on my Neon, that's how I know. Here is the web link:

http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howe...products_id=36
Old 02 Dec 2005, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wicked_PT

If you think that is good, check out Howell Automotive. They make alot of high performance parts for Neons and PTs. They sell a 55mm T.B. for $299. After you install you new T.B., send back your old one and they will refund you back the core charge of $100.00 for boreing it out. I hade this done on my Neon, that's how I know. Here is the web link:

http://www.howellautomotive.com/Howe...products_id=36
yes you are correct but if you you can get a used one off a wrecked car then have at. i'm making a custom intake manifold that will run a t-body off a mustang. they can be as big as something like 100mm but a stocker is like 60mm and the normal big ones are up to 75mm.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 08:15 pm
Cool Cruiser

Just keep in mind that it won't matter how big your T.B. is if your intake manifold insides don't match. In other words, if the insides of the intake manifold are not bored out and ported, then the nice wide T.B. that you are adding is soon brought back down to the narrow air flow of the intake restricted size. And if you have a plastic intake manifold, then you will not be able to bore and port them. It would have to be the original cast iron type.

Besides, anything with a diamiter biger than 60mm is going to be to big for the end of the manifold where the T.B. is attached. Then you will have overlaping.
Old 02 Dec 2005, 09:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

let me look at my post of yeah it says "i'm making a custom intake manifold that will run a t-body off a mustang." sounds like i got it covered on all the bases the manifold will be ported and it will have a custon plenum.
Old 03 Dec 2005, 04:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Topless in Cali

Just make sure you put in the sensors from the 5spd otherwise it will throw codes. It makes [8)]
Did you have to calibrate the TPS when you switched it over to the new TB or is it a one position installation?
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come