Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tranny whine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Jan 2006, 02:04 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Tranny whine

My PT has developed a whine, limited to second gear and most pronounced at 35 mph. DCX replaced guts of transmissin and it was worse. Went back to the original parts and the whine remains. DCX says this is a characteristic that appears in SOME 2003-2004 PT's. Not very noticeable during fast acceleration but if I'm it easy, it's there. Anyone else with this problem? Power steering belt also went out at 20K miles [:I]
Old 31 Jan 2006, 04:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

I've never heard of a whine being typical. Go to another dealer.....You sure it's not the turbo you are hearing with the modified airbox and turbo to airbox pipe?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 31 Jan 2006, 06:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would take it to another dealership also if you can
Old 01 Feb 2006, 10:49 pm
Young Cruiser

I've been to three dealerships and met with the regional rep. I'm sensitive to any "noise" and have been persistent with DC. Drove a new one (chosen by me at random off the lot) and the whine was there. It's not loud in my DCII but they insist (in writing) that it is not a problem. It's in writing, so..............
Old 01 Feb 2006, 10:52 pm
Young Cruiser

Mean Green, didn't mean to ignore you. It's not the turbo or the intake box. Since I noticed it in a 2006, I can only assume that SOME GT's have this anomoly. I probably would not even register with many folks...........
Old 02 Feb 2006, 05:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

hey if they gave to you in writing and the new one has the same sound you are hearing on yours i guess you just have really good hearing !!
Old 28 Feb 2006, 12:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have a whine/whorl sound as well, but only in third. Very annoying.[xx(] I took it to the dealer I the pt from, they rode with me and said, "o thatÂ’s the turbo" o yea only in third uh ? Weird. Not satisfied i took to a DC dealer and the said the same thing. after that I went to my uncles job had them put it on a lift and we used a stethoscope to listen really close to the trans , sure enough there is a whine in third. So I had them write me a bill up and went back to the local DC and told they are wrong I would like to make a appt. so I have one today at 12, guess we will see what is said.
Old 28 Feb 2006, 01:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

just a thought, aim the steth at the power steering pump. Mine started whining , and it would only do it under specific load and it SEEMED gear dependant. Turned out it was a tad low on fluid. filled it and my whine is gone....Just a thought......(Remember to use ATF +4 in the power steering pump - check your manual!)
2004 PT GT -Stage 1, K&N Drop-In, Airbox Mods, \'05 Composite Manifold, AMX TTAB, NGK V-Powers at .040, Magnecore KV-85\'s, Mopar BOV, BTG Strut Bar, Mopar Rear Sway, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, a few visual Mods, a coupla Road Runners, and a Partridge in a Pear tree......
Old 28 Feb 2006, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

well, that was a waste of 4 hrs! they let me sit for all that time, let me make a appt and the trans guy was not even there to day!!! and then they had the nerve to ask when i wanted my next appt, right. i am going else wur