Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
question about plastic intake manifold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Feb 2006, 05:34 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default question about plastic intake manifold

is it good how mutch hp and what is the price because im very interested just need detail about that because everibody talk about that
Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

I beleive about 8 hp & $65. from Haynes Speed Shop. You may have to remount you dipstick.
Old 12 Feb 2006, 11:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

About 8-10hp, add another $30 for a vanity cover, but don't use the foam backing that comes with it. You have to rework your stock dipstick bracket (not hard) or buy the updated dipstick (very cheap). Very worthwhile mod! Not just lighter, but less of a heatsink, and has a diverter to balance the airflow to all the cylinders.

Harry
2004 PT GT -Stage 1, K&N Drop-In, Airbox Mods, \'05 Composite Manifold, AMX TTAB, NGK V-Powers at .040, Magnecore KV-85\'s, Mopar BOV, BTG Strut Bar, Mopar Rear Sway, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, a few visual Mods, a coupla Road Runners, and a Partridge in a Pear tree......
Old 18 Feb 2006, 03:53 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

and unless you go to a drag strip and get the official time...you are not going to feel 5 to 8 hp....plus your plugs become harder to change..
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

and unless you go to a drag strip and get the official time...you are not going to feel 5 to 8 hp....plus your plugs become harder to change..
It depends on how much your GT is modded. I noticed a big difference when I started cranking up the BC after installing the plastic manifold. At higher boost, 18+, the metal intake manifold just doesn't flow like the plastic. And to get to the plugs, it just takes a universal joint on your plug socket!
The only advantage I see with the metal intake is that you could have it honed out to larger holes than the plastic, but it is a lot more than $65 for that and unless you're running a BIG turbo, I can't see spending a few hundred bucks for extrude honing and polishing
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 04:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I would also disagree. I installed the plastic manifold when I was still S0 and immediately felt a difference. I feel this is one of those mods that ends up being greater than the sum of it's parts. On a stock GT, it may just be a blip on the butt dyno, but as your mods increase it serves as a foundation for more power and provides exponential gains...And as stated, a properly sized universal socket precludes the need for manifold removal to get to the plugs....
2004 PT GT -Stage 1, K&N Drop-In, Airbox Mods, \'05 Composite Manifold, AMX TTAB, NGK V-Powers at .040, Magnecore KV-85\'s, Mopar BOV, BTG Strut Bar, Mopar Rear Sway, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Hawk HPS Brake Pads, a few visual Mods, a coupla Road Runners, and a Partridge in a Pear tree......
Old 23 Feb 2006, 02:45 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

[8]Its called mind games...If you believe it enough you will be convinced...
Old 23 Feb 2006, 08:41 pm
Young Cruiser

Call me crazy but I find this debate really amusing. The LT-1 community sees this completely different. As the former owner of an LT-1 Camaro which came with a composite "plastic" intake manifold. One of the first mods to be done was to dump the intake in lieu of a metal manifold that created more power (dynoed 8-10hp). This was especially important if boost was going to added.

As I have not experienced a PT with the change I cannot comment on the difference it makes but in the Camaro getting rid of it did.

Just my 2c
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 23 Feb 2006, 11:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

QUOTE:
"Call me crazy but I find this debate really amusing. The LT-1 community sees this completely different. As the former owner of an LT-1 Camaro which came with a composite "plastic" intake manifold. One of the first mods to be done was to dump the intake in lieu of a metal manifold that created more power (dynoed 8-10hp). This was especially important if boost was going to added.

As I have not experienced a PT with the change I cannot comment on the difference it makes but in the Camaro getting rid of it did.

Just my 2c"

You must be very easilly amused. A PT intake has nothing to do with a Chevy intake. Whichever intake has better flow is the one that will perform best. I'm sure you're right about those Chevy intakes.

The GT plastic intake was re-engineered to do it's job better than the old one. It is a fact that the Cruiser Turbo, plastic intake flows better, balances the cylinder filling better, has smoother insides, makes more power and is lighter to boot.

Old 24 Feb 2006, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Actually, LT-1s didn't have plastic intake manifolds. That's the LS-1. I have owned 2 of them, and a 1994 Impala SS, and none of them had composite manifolds.