PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new guy/Spark Knock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2006, 01:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default new guy/Spark Knock

hey, everybody. New guy here.

We've got a silver and black '05 GT with all the options but the nav system.

Love the car - it's our second cruiser. The first one (a patriot blue '02 limited m5) god rest it's soul, is in a AAA junkyard somewhere after an unfavorable encounter with an 18 wheeler.

I did a search for pinging and came up with spark plug gap. This car pings so bad when I get on it, even under light accel, I am afraid to blow it up. Is there anyone else who has experienced this and had it be more than plug gap? Seems to me like the turbo may be sending in too much hot air and it's detonating. I don't know the system that well on this car, does it have an intercooler? I am wondering if that might solve the problem if there is an aftermarket one available.

BTW, stock dealer response is "they all do that." BS, I say. DC would not have designed a car to knock.

Thanks!

Old 28 Feb 2006, 03:39 am
Young Cruiser

The car does have an intercooler. I would double check the gap on the plugs and also not to be obvious but you are running premium fuel right?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 04:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Oops, should have mentioned that. Yes, always 91 octane and we also run Mobil1 synthetic. Never had a huffer before so I am REALLY sensitive to this ping deal. Last car I had that sounded like this when I jumped on it ended up with three busted pistons.

What is the proper gap? I have seen several different opinions just poking around on this site.

Also, I see this mopar stage 1 kit. There is a PCM reprogram in that from what I gather. Anybody think that would change things?

We had the PCM reprogrammed on a recall.

Old 01 Mar 2006, 02:23 am
Young Cruiser

I have my plugs gapped at .038 and it seems fine. I dunno if the Stage 1 kit would help with the ping but it sure would help with the zing

Now you say it is an '05 model? I had to replace my plugs and wires when I hit 15,000 miles last year and I guess yours should be getting to that mile mark too by now. That may be the ticket for ya.
Old 02 Mar 2006, 06:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. Guy at the dealer said there's a TSB for the plugs, maybe I can convince them to warranty the wires as well. I wouldn't be surprised if that was it, we have 20k on the clock right now.

R
Old 03 Mar 2006, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'd say get Crane wires (not for knock, but to prevent missing) RaceAndStreet.com.
Gap - some have gone as low as 0.028, but I think factory recommends 0.038.
All PTs have a knock sensor that retards timing when it detects knock - yours mighta died.
My daughter runs 89 octane in her '03 GT & no knock, so they don't all do it....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 03 Mar 2006, 10:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

The TSB was to reduce the plug gap from .052 to .040 on the Turbo, the Install sheet for the 2005 Mopar Stage 1 kit recommends .035
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 05 Mar 2006, 11:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

welcome to the board, keep us posted when you get it fixed good luck