Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Balance Shaft Assembly Elimination

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2006, 11:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Balance Shaft Assembly Elimination

Has anyone eliminated the balance shafts out of the motor? If you have does the motor have to be rebalanced? I have a motor that shattered the balance shaft assembly in a wreck and was wondering if it could be eliminated.
Old 09 Mar 2006, 11:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

The only person that I know of that did it, blew his motor, so.....
Please see Forum Guidelines regarding signature image sizing.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've read posts on forums that it can be eliminated - some more roughness at idle - and you'll have to add a little more oil to replace the volume of the balance shaft.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Mar 2006, 03:38 pm
Young Cruiser

There have been quite a few discussions about this on the SRT forums.
And it seems that quite a few have done this with out any major issues.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.
Carl Sagan (1934 - 1996)
Old 13 Mar 2006, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

what would one gain by doing this? just weight reduction at the pulleys?
Old 14 Mar 2006, 12:03 am
Regular Cruiser

Supposedly you can gain about 10 hp. But, I don't have one to replace it with is my problem. I have removed the balance shafts on a 2.6 Mitsubishi motor and didn't have it balanced. It worked but, idle vibration was annoying and the engine vibration fed back through the throttle cable and put your foot to sleep after about 45 minutes. I would probably have the whole motor balanced if I do it to eliminate the vibration. I didn't know if the vibrations were bad enough to be annoying.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 06:34 am
Young Cruiser

As far as I know I'm the only PT on the forums that is running without BS (balance shafts).
It is not an issue. You do not have to rebalance the engine.
Slightly more vibration at idle but barely noticeable. Not noticeable at all when you are moving. Weight reduction is at ~ 14lbs. You need to plug the oil feed hole correctly or you will have pressure problems. You need to add baffles to the oil pan to help control slosh/oil starvation if you are cornering hard. You will be adding ~ 1 more quart of oil to make up for the oil originally displaced by the BS assembly.

Anthony
Fully built HRC Turboed 2.4: Wiseco pistons, T2 rods, Port & Polished head (Bob Special) with oversize Stainless Steel valves, #14 Crane Cams, AF/X UDP, No balance shafts, Custom 3\" downpipe, 3\" hi flow exhaust, Ported GT intake manifold, Bored Throttle Body, 30 lb injectors, Water/Alc. injection
Old 14 Mar 2006, 03:20 pm
Regular Cruiser

Anthony, is the vibration about the same as an old neon. I don't believe that they had balance shafts and this is the same block. This is a daily driver and a long distance, 8 hours plus driving car. I want to keep it a pleasure to drive. Thanks for your help.
Old 14 Mar 2006, 05:15 pm
Young Cruiser

Haven't sat in an old Neon. But they also had a 2.0 not 2.4. The 2.4's use balance shafts because of the the longer stroke. I honestly think every car will be different as well as every owner will have a different perception of what is annoying. To me, it is not a problem or annoying at all. The worst case scenario is to add them back in if you have to. That wil be a PITA though.

Good luck,

Ant
Fully built HRC Turboed 2.4: Wiseco pistons, T2 rods, Port & Polished head (Bob Special) with oversize Stainless Steel valves, #14 Crane Cams, AF/X UDP, No balance shafts, Custom 3\" downpipe, 3\" hi flow exhaust, Ported GT intake manifold, Bored Throttle Body, 30 lb injectors, Water/Alc. injection
Old 15 Mar 2006, 10:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

Anthony, how much does the 3" downpipe help. Is it straight through. Would a 2 1/2 straight be jsut as good?