Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
BOOST CONTROLLER ????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 May 2003, 10:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been following posts for awhile and am interested in boost controllers also. what are the pros and cons to the following units?
Turbo XS
Hallman ES
Hallman Pro
Old 20 May 2003, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I purchased one of the boost controllers, and yes it did increase pickup, etc. I also felt that my GT is smoother without it, when under load. I used the controller on a diesel turbo I have to keep the boost from spiking. I believe that we are in the early stages of this mod. Unless you are willing to take that risk, you might generate excessive heat without an EGT gauge. Several are testing, some very extensively. My diesel turbo has larger injectors, different chip, but it was done very carefully. The GT--several have stated that the injectors may run out of fuel, lean out the mixture, and if you play with this engine, be prepared. I do not have the funds to play with what Chrysler has probably designed to hold up as is to the abusive public. One has blown the torque converter so far, you will need a year or two of driving of some of these mods to know how they will hold up. I have dual exhausts, and will get some sort of cold air intake, mods that should not harm the life of the engine.
Everyone has a different goal, just be careful. Some of these guys know what they are doing, and are prepared to rebuild the engine, I am a bit more cautious, love the car the way it is now.
Old 22 May 2003, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Whats up with the N/A ?????????I don't understand why no one will post on this subject!!!!!!!
Old 22 May 2003, 07:39 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

I am currently using a TurboXs dual stage controller, and love it. The 1st stage is completely stock (adjustment screw completely clockwise) Even though it yields no boost gain, the spool up of the turbo is quicker. I did not go to stage 2 until I installed an EGT gauge to compliment a boost controller. I also waited until i installed a HKS SSBOV (sequential blow off valve) It did not take much of a boost gain to see that the surge valve which BTW vents back into the intake, could not handle the pressure. I have defeated the Surge valve and the boost is much more steady and less spikey. If you are going to boost turbo pressure signifigantly a Boost gage is a MUST, and either a EGT gauge, or an A/F mixture are a must as well. This way you can tell where you are in boost adjustment, and if at any time you lean out the fuel mixture too much, before any damage can happen. From all that I have read and seen posted here on this forum, the engine can run without damage and with enough fuel in the mixture up to about 15 PSI. So I make sure that I do not boost past 14 (except for the occasional spike to 15). The problem is that you cannot just raise boost and ignore any kind of engine monitoring/management. I have installed a 2.5" dual exhaust system with a turbo flow glasspack that is tuned (by physical size and vent rotation inside the glasspack) for Supercharged/Turbocharged engines. I have installed a low restriction intake setup (currently Air Raid) to insure that I am getting all of the air that I can thru the intercooler. The first rule of boost increase is monitor & Control the second rule is to insure that the intake and exhaust are sufficiently open so that the pressure has a place to go. As far as the MBCs go, they all work pretty well. I did have 1 hallman pro with the ceramic ball that I had issues with. However that being said, the Hallman pro with the stainless ball & stock pressure spring worked well. The only reason that I changed was to go to the dual stage TurboXs. This way when my wife drives the car I don't worry about the extra performance that the 14 PSI adds to the PT. It is also handy to be able to drive stock when I need or want to (mostly for fuel economy). Sorry that this is so long winded, but I hate to see anyone go into boost increase without being armed with what to watch for and how to watch for it. Good Luck, and Happy Boosting

Alan (Black GT w/Purple flames)
Old 23 May 2003, 09:05 pm
Young Cruiser

I have tryed many ways to increase the boost,including a hallmans controler and a home made controler(made from a granger relief valve) These two work the same exactly.But the best for money is a .030 vent installed in the orange hose.But I am still testing,and feel its time to look into the surge valve as mention earlier.Old Head
Old 25 May 2003, 08:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ripster

I purchased one of the boost controllers, and yes it did increase pickup, etc. I also felt that my GT is smoother without it, when under load. I used the controller on a diesel turbo I have to keep the boost from spiking. I believe that we are in the early stages of this mod. Unless you are willing to take that risk, you might generate excessive heat without an EGT gauge. Several are testing, some very extensively. My diesel turbo has larger injectors, different chip, but it was done very carefully. The GT--several have stated that the injectors may run out of fuel, lean out the mixture, and if you play with this engine, be prepared. I do not have the funds to play with what Chrysler has probably designed to hold up as is to the abusive public. One has blown the torque converter so far, you will need a year or two of driving of some of these mods to know how they will hold up. I have dual exhausts, and will get some sort of cold air intake, mods that should not harm the life of the engine.
Everyone has a different goal, just be careful. Some of these guys know what they are doing, and are prepared to rebuild the engine, I am a bit more cautious, love the car the way it is now.
Ripster buddy whats up!?

OUr car does not run as hot as the diesels do. YOu can actualy crank up the boost to 15psi and be a happy camper on this engine.

For those of you who feel that the car is not as smooth with the boost turned up, its time that you lean the check valve mod.

The surge valve located on the turbo, opens up. It tries to lower boost by bleeding it off which is why the car does not run as smooth at part throttle.

If you take the line going to the turbo surge valve and add a check valve to it then you will get that smoother ride. Or you can take a line directly from the intake manifold and connect it to the surge valve. Just make sure you cap off the line that was connected to the surge valve initialy.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.