Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
K&N Drop-In = Performance Loss?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Jun 2006, 12:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default K&N Drop-In = Performance Loss?

Recently I replaced my spark plugs and air filter at the same time with NGKs and a K&N drop-in. After, the performance was off - the engine hesitated and lugged, downshifting too late and upshifting too early. I thought it was the spark plugs so I re-gapped them. This helped, but not completely. So I put the stock air filter back in and the performance was restored. Does this make sense to anybody? Maybe these changes require the computer to be reset by disconnecting the battery? I would appreciate any advice / experience you can share regarding this.
Old 12 Jun 2006, 10:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to ptTurbo528

i dont think i should make a diff...is the filter still in the car? if not reinsall and take the car out for a so called spirtied drive the computer may have to make some adjustments to compensate for the extra air intake...i put a short ram typhoon intake made by k+n and noticed a hell of a diff in performance... are plug wires new,old or orignal that maybe a possibility also. good luck keep me posted brian.
goldline coil springs custom exhaust done by yours truly..k&n typhoon intake..tinted windows member of ptcruiserclub.org..adjusted wasetgate. E&G classic billet grille. 600w alpine amp,2-twelve alpine typeR subs,alpine headunit.xeon headlights,fog lights.apc carbon fiber taillights. royal purple oil. k&n oil filter,mopar bov conversion,BTG strut tower brace....
Old 13 Jun 2006, 03:39 am
Veteran Cruiser

A drop in shouldn't hamper performance. I've never had that problem with any of the three PT's or my SRT-4.

A drop in is worth 2-3 hp and no loss of torque. An intake is worth 2-3 hp and loss of some torque. Seen it on the dyno. Sorry, you can't even feel a 2-3 hp gain. You'll notice the loss of torque at the track, though.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 13 Jun 2006, 07:45 am
Fanatic Cruiser

O I bet that someone on this forum can feel it....[]
Old 13 Jun 2006, 05:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

that is really strange !!
Old 14 Jun 2006, 04:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

O I bet that someone on this forum can feel it....[]
It's all felt in the mind. Have seen two different dyno's and open intakes suck. They do look cool though even though they rob performance. I guess if a person is not into performance and into it just for looks it would work for that person. I know with the AGP turbo upgrade you have to use an open intake because of the setup but in that case you are running such higher hp it won't matter if you lose some performance because of the open intake.

Old 14 Jun 2006, 09:42 am
Young Cruiser

Did you take the K&N out of its plastic wrap before installation? [}] (J/K- I hope ;^)
They should be the same in the worst case, and more likely a new K&N would outperform a used stock filter element.
Our '03 GT is happiest with its copper Champions gapped at .038-.040", FWIW.

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)
Old 14 Jun 2006, 02:05 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

In the mind...you got that right....Just like the Iridium plugs...man i feel the difference...sure you do.....
Old 15 Jun 2006, 03:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rszappa1

In the mind...you got that right....Just like the Iridium plugs...man i feel the difference...sure you do.....
Don't you just love butt dyno's?

Old 15 Jun 2006, 11:49 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rottone

Recently I replaced my spark plugs and air filter at the same time with NGKs and a K&N drop-in. After, the performance was off - the engine hesitated and lugged, downshifting too late and upshifting too early. I thought it was the spark plugs so I re-gapped them. This helped, but not completely. So I put the stock air filter back in and the performance was restored. Does this make sense to anybody? Maybe these changes require the computer to be reset by disconnecting the battery? I would appreciate any advice / experience you can share regarding this.
I would disconnect the negative battery cable, wait a few minutes and then re-install it. Hoepfully it will cause your car to re-map the new air to fuel ratio. The K&N should be better than the stock filter.