PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check engine light, ever hear of these codes?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Jul 2006, 09:19 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Check engine light, ever hear of these codes?

Hello out there, I'm asking for help with my 03 all stock (no stage one) GT 5 speed before I take it to the dealer. The other day a friend used my GT to go to NASA to see the Space Stuttle lift off and now these computer codes are coming up and it's making weird noises now. He says it didn't hit, bump or race anything but I find it hard to believe him. I've read some websites about these codes and they all say the codes start out with P then the # but these codes don't say that or I'm not reading it right. The first code that comes up is FL0007 Second code is EE 10 Third code is BL 01 The GT runs great, maybe a little better than before because I'm getting third gear tire spins at WOT. Now this weird noise that I'm hearing sounds just like big 4x4 tires that whine driving down the road, it's never done this before and it's getting louder. I reset the computer by unhooking the battrey but then after a little while the light comes back on with the same codes. I've looked at all the tires about the noise and see nothing wrong. I've taken it out of gear and coasted at all speeds, same noise. Taken it on twisty roads, same noise and it doesn't make any different sound (the whine pitch). The noise starts at around 10 mph. Don't think it's the transmission because it shifts fine. The clutch works just like it did and it drives just like it always did just with the whining noise now. I thought it may be a rear tire bearing but I've never heard of one tripping the engine light. I don't think I've left anything out and I hope someone can help me out. Thanks
Old 08 Jul 2006, 09:54 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll try and help. I don't think your reading the correct fault codes. To obtain the fault codes your looking for, put the key into the ignition and turn it towards the window (forward) three (3) times without actually starting the engine. On the 3rd turn forward, leave the key facing the window and the codes will then show up in the center dial.

The "codes" that you were seeing is the PCM information codes that you see when you do a "Dial Test". That's holding the reset button IN while turning on the ingnition key. All the dials will go through a test and then give you some information codes.

Old 08 Jul 2006, 11:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

wheel noise, heres a thought, look on the backside of the rims see if any are dented it happened on my wifes pt rim had a split and a big bubble , you couldnt see a thing by looking at it from the outside , good luck & keep us posted
Old 08 Jul 2006, 02:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

I did it that way with the key, turning it on while pushing on the trip miles button. It tells the serial # of the car, then the codes, then it cycles through the gauges. So I think I'm doing it right
Old 08 Jul 2006, 05:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

NO. You did exactly what I told you to do to get the INFORMATION CODES, not the FAULT CODES. Leave your finger OFF the reset button and turn the key 3 times to the ON position leaving it to the ON with the last turn. [xx(]
Old 10 Jul 2006, 10:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

For the noise, I'll bet on a wheel bearing.
Read and compare:
http://ptenthusiasts.org/forum/showt...d=1#post586896

for the codes - just use the key (not trip odometer) or go to AdvanceAuto, AutoZone, etc, and they'll pull the codes for free.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Jul 2006, 07:41 pm
Regular Cruiser

Ok, I finallyread the codes right and code is 0551 which is the power steering switch. Now where is this switch so I can replace it?
Thanks
Old 27 Aug 2009, 11:06 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Check engine light, ever hear of these codes?

I feel certain now the noise you hear is the power steering pump. Try refilling the reservoir and check for leaks; the pressure switch is one possibility.

I had the same code years ago and nursed the steering along for several years. Finally I had to replace the leaking switch. I continue to nurse it along; occasionally the pump is noisy but it continues to work. I try not to turn the wheel when stopped and try not to hit the stops at either steering extreme. That treatment keeps the pump quiet......

The switch is the only thing in the steering gear with a wire to it. It is where the steering shaft goes into the rack but make sure you have filled the reservoir and checked for leaks before you replace it.

Last edited by Mal; 27 Aug 2009 at 11:09 am.
Old 27 Aug 2009, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Uh, the post was over THREE YEARS AGO..
Old 28 Aug 2009, 08:02 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Uh, the post was over THREE YEARS AGO..
Yeah, do a search and you'll find that nothing is really new. This is just one I have recent experience with. If someone else has the problem; he or she will likely end up here. I have always had a problem with these forums in that, more often than not folks don't close the loop. When they get the problem fixed; they no longer have a use for the forum. When I see one that I can close, or even add to; I often do. Sorry if I upset your sense of timing and that this post is nearly as useless as the one before it....

Last edited by Mal; 28 Aug 2009 at 08:09 am.