Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bosch Platinum 2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Jul 2006, 09:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bosch Platinum 2

Has anyone used the Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs in their turbo ? These are the ones with two ground electrodes. Any gains over the regular copper or platinum ones?
Old 15 Jul 2006, 01:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nh11

Has anyone used the Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs in their turbo ? These are the ones with two ground electrodes. Any gains over the regular copper or platinum ones?
You can't use platinum plugs in a turbo. A turbo runs hotter than a non turbo and the tips of the plugs will eventually melt. I liked the factory Copper Plus plugs in my 280+ hp modified '03 GT. Some people like irridium plugs but IMHO I think they are over hyped, over priced plugs that are no better than the Copper Plus plugs.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 16 Jul 2006, 08:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

I guess I was wrong but I always thought that Platinum would hold up better under heat and stress from a turbo. At "Spark Plug.com" they list Champion,Denso and NGK platinum plugs for turbos. I guess they'll sell you anything even if it doesn't work well. Thanks Mean Green for the heads up.
Old 16 Jul 2006, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been using platinum plugs in my GT for almost 2 years now and have had no problems.
Old 17 Jul 2006, 12:31 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stranger

I've been using platinum plugs in my GT for almost 2 years now and have had no problems.
Then you have been lucky. You must not drive your car hard or put a lot of miles on it. Every gearhead and ASE certified mechanic familiar with turbo's knows not to put platinum plugs in a turbo car. Get those plugs out of your GT. If you don't want to believe me then send me a PM and I'll turn you on to some hardcore gearheads like my buddy who just dynoed his GT at 331 hp at the wheels. [?]

Old 17 Jul 2006, 01:35 am
Regular Cruiser

You would all do well to heed Mean Green's advice. The man knows of what he speaks (er, types) and a good friend of mine now owns his former PT GT. Beastly car that one!!
Old 17 Jul 2006, 03:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SR-PT4

You would all do well to heed Mean Green's advice. The man knows of what he speaks (er, types) and a good friend of mine now owns his former PT GT. Beastly car that one!!
Thanks SR-PT4. I'm glad Jo is still enjoying the GT. It's fun to drive and loves a steady diet of ricers and V8's [?]

Old 18 Jul 2006, 12:16 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mean Green

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stranger

Then you have been lucky. You must not drive your car hard or put a lot of miles on it. Every gearhead and ASE certified mechanic familiar with turbo's knows not to put platinum plugs in a turbo car. Get those plugs out of your GT. If you don't want to believe me then send me a PM and I'll turn you on to some hardcore gearheads like my buddy who just dynoed his GT at 331 hp at the wheels. [?]
or me that dynoed at 375hp and 430 ft/lbs and runs a 12.3@116. do not use platinum plugs in any turbo aplication. they run hotter as a self cleaning thing and can cause very bad knock.
Old 19 Jul 2006, 06:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

I ran platinums in a turbo for about 10 years with no ill effects. It was a volvo turbo that I had tweeked up to about 16#'s of boost. Honestly, you want a hot spark so telling me that it runs hotter as a "self cleaning thing" is great. If you want a plug to dissapate heat faster, get a cooler plug. These days I would recommend iridium plugs though. Platinums are so 1980 tech...LOL! I have read so many tech reports about dynos returning higher numbers with just iridiums installed that I have to believe they make a difference.

EDIT-- I do however still use the factory recommended plugs in my S1-GT. I have them out every couple months anyway and keep them gapped at about .040. Never had a problem there either.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come