Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Review- New performance clutch install for the GT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Sep 2006, 05:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Review- New performance clutch install for the GT

I just wanted to do a little review on a new clutch that is available for the PT GT.

As some of you may know I have a PT that makes close to 400 WHP. Shortly after I installed my big turbo my stock clutch started slipping big time. After much research I decided to go with a new clutch by Centerforce. Although the manufacture did not post HP ratings, the dealer’s website said it would hold up to 500 HP. Well this spring I went to the track and really put the clutch to the test. Centerforce Results- Failure, once I upped the boost the clutch started slipping bad through second and third. I then shut it down and headed back to the pits. I could smell burnt clutch all the way. I knew then that my racing days were over until I found a new clutch.

I was able to find Tex form SRTforums.com on and he said he could make a clutch that will hold the HP that I am making. I contacted Tim http://www.srtforums.com/forums/member.php?u=3622 and ordered the clutch. It came about a week later.

Here is the old clutch. You can see the bluing on the clutch from it not holding at my high boost.

Old clutch and flywheel.

Here is the old clutch and the new clutch.

Machined flywheel, pretty, isn’t it.

New clutch. This is what you have been waiting for.

New pressure plate

I asked Tim what the break in for the clutch was. This was his answer. “STOMP ON THE GAS!!!!!!!!! That’s the break in. I don’t recommend back to back dyno runs for the first 100-200 miles, but you can do back to back 1/4 mile runs if you like. You will want to cool it down for a couple minutes if you really get it hot but after that you are good to go. Just be sure you relearn to drive/launch with it. There is NO slip in this clutch if you dump it hard (little on the street), so if you do a dump from 4000rpm your going to destroy axles. Once you get the hang of it you will be fine, but be nice to it til you get the learning curve down”

I have to agree with this advice. The clutch does not slip. It took just a bit to relearn how to drive but it sure is fun. This is the way a performance clutch should be. I have had it on for a month and I am very very happy with it.

I have not had a chance to take it to the drag strip but it should be a lot of fun.

ok, some real quick facts------------------------------------------------

The clutches built by Robin at Superior Friction in San Jose, California, however, Robin is not available for phone calls with regards to questions about the clutch, that is why Tim is selling them. If you have any question please contact Tim.

The clutch has a modified pressure plate, with approximately 10% more clamp load. This gives good engagement, with no more noticeable pedal effort.

The disc material is a metalic/metalic combo with a Marcel plate that allows it to be drivable! This combo allows the clutch to be completely drivable on the street, however, if you are mean to the pedal, the clutch will grab with tenacity. When the clutch heats up, it will also get real aggressive. This clutch loves drag racing and lots of abuse. Slicks are no problem, but you might want to upgrade axles if you plan on running at the track with slicks often, as this clutch will grab and not let go!

If you do want to go with something more streetable we can go with the stage1 disc which is a kevlar/metalic disc. This disc will last a life time, with smooth operation, awesome drivability, hold 400+horsepower all day, and treat the owner with tons of civility. However, this clutch does
Old 25 Sep 2006, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i am surprised with centerforce i have one in my 70 dart swinger 340 4 speed it hold up very well, glad you found something that works well
Old 26 Sep 2006, 10:13 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks for posting this [8)]

Brian
\'03 5-speed S2 Dream Cruiser #1582 w/MP Stage 1 & BOV. Plastic Intake Manifold, rear Eibach springs and Supertrapp axle-back exhaust.
Crane 8.5mm FireWires & Champion Copper Plus plugs, K&N drop in filter. Chrome Plastic AMX TTAB pipe.
(Metro Detroit Area)