Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AGP Wastegate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Oct 2006, 03:08 am
Cool Cruiser

Default AGP Wastegate

Search feature doesn't seem to work to well on this site anymore so I thought I'd start a new thread. I ordered the AGP Wastegate Actuator for my 03' PTGT. Do I need a boost controler or can I istall the wastegate on it's own?
Old 15 Oct 2006, 03:53 am
Veteran Cruiser

You are going to need a boost gauge before you install the wga. You need to know what you are boosting to be safe. You can install wga on it's own. Set it at 13 psi. Without a bc you will have PTB, actually bad PTB. I installed a dual stage bc on my '03 GT along with the AGP wga. I had the 1st stage of the bc set at 15 psi. No PTB in any gear. The 2nd stage of the bc was set at 18 psi. Bad PTB in the first couple of gears (5 speed). No PTB from 3rd gear on. The trick was to use the 1st stage of the bc for 1st and 2nd gears so there was no PTB. When I hit 3rd gear I flipped the switch to the 2nd stage of the bc. Then it was hang on to your hat, Martha. My wife (not named Martha) called the bc switch the "evil switch" and I had to tell her before I used it so I didn't snap her neck off. [|)]

I could drive in 1st and 2nd gears on the 2nd stage of the bc, but I had to go easy in 1st and 2nd gears to avoid PTB until I hit 3rd gear. Then it was punch it and go. The GT was a blast to drive. [?]

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 15 Oct 2006, 10:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

What type of BC did you use?
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Mods On The Way: AGP Wastegate Actuator
Old 15 Oct 2006, 10:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by strangelove

What type of BC did you use?
I used a Turbo XS dual stage bc. It's manual and cheaper than an electric one.

Old 15 Oct 2006, 11:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

Is this the BC you installed?

That must be the red "evil switch" lol!!! [^]
03 Black PT GT: BTG Strut Tower Brace, BTG Rear Anti Sway Bar, Psi-Fi Control Arm Bushings, H&R Wheel Spacers, Mopar Stage 2 Coilovers, Yokohama AVS ES100, Stage 1, Uppper Charge Pipe, Mopar Plastc Manifold.
Old 16 Oct 2006, 02:12 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Yep [?]

Old 17 Oct 2006, 08:09 am
Cool Cruiser

I like the thought of having dual stage boost control with a switch to go from one to the other. Makes sense to be able to trip a higer boost during 3rd gear, there would probably be to much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears if you were running 18 psi boost. Where did you put you boost guage?

I found another bc made by AEM which is a bc and a guage in one. Not sure if it has dual settings, but I like that it's a guage as well.

Old 17 Oct 2006, 02:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by strangelove

I like the thought of having dual stage boost control with a switch to go from one to the other. Makes sense to be able to trip a higer boost during 3rd gear, there would probably be to much wheel spin in 1st and 2nd gears if you were running 18 psi boost. Where did you put you boost guage?

I found another bc made by AEM which is a bc and a guage in one. Not sure if it has dual settings, but I like that it's a guage as well.

Gauge pod.

The problem with a single stage bc is if it is set above 15 psi you will get bad PTB.

Old 21 Oct 2006, 08:01 am
Cool Cruiser

Nice pillar pod, yeah I think a dual stage boost controler would be better. The search goes on.