Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
EGR or air/fuel gauge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Jun 2003, 08:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Default EGR or air/fuel gauge

Which gauge will provide a more accurate indication of the engine and turbo condition. I have an fuel and oil pressure and I would like to add one more. I am also getting ready to start using a EBC but wanted one of the above gauges working before beginning to play. The EBC and my TT have boost gauges. Thanks,
Old 02 Jun 2003, 10:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

For my money the EGT is the gauge that I prefer. You can tell when the mixture is too lean by the EGT. You also can get an indication (EGT Too High) of many other conditions that could cause engine damage by monitoring the EGT. It won't indicate a specific problem, but you will get an early indication of an issue of any kind that raises the EGT above normal limits. That is just a matter of personal preference. You have to install a sensor/probe in order to use either. I use the EGT. Autometer uses a thermocouple probe that can be installed in the downpipe before the flex tube assy. The best place is actually in the exhaust manifold, but its all relative, and much more convenient not to mention easier to go with the downpipe installation. Thats my $ .02

Alan

[^]
Old 03 Jun 2003, 10:45 am
Young Cruiser

Thanks Alan, From what I have read lately the air/fuel may not help at WOT as much. The EGT is sounding like the best choice.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 08:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Exhaust Depot

Don,

The A/F gauge will not work on our car. Unlike ever car out there, our 02 sensor works off a 2.5 V setup. That will peg the A/F gauge becuase they are designed to wokr from 0v up to 1.5V.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 08:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Hey Hector, if I go with the A/F I will have to add a O2 sensor. After reading about A/F gauges, they may not be the best indicator of a problem running high boost at WOT. So I was trying to find out if it would be better to run a EGT instead of a A/F. I really hope to get the E01 in this weekend. I will call you about initial setup.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 08:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

FWIW, for those pursuing the A/F gauge, you can either order a package with gauge and compatible sensor, or you can have an additional sensor installed that is compatible with the gagues offered. Hector is absolutely correct in his assessment of using the gauge with the stock sensor(s). They are wideband, biased with 5 volts and pulse width modulated ( a real mouthful).

It has been suggested to use an inexpensive sensor, available for most auto parts stores, like a O2 sensor from a 91 shadow.

Old 03 Jun 2003, 08:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Yes you can use an ell cheapo 02 sensor from any parts store. Your better off with one that has a heater eliment though if you want it to get up to par sooner. Or you can go with one thats a one wire, should be about $65 or so.

I have 02 sensor bungs out the ying yang if you need any. Its about $5 for the bung.

I wish I knew what the voltage convertion was on the stock 02 sensor. I could use my e01 to convert the voltage into an A/F if i knew what voltage to A/F ratio was.

E.D. 3\" Turbo Back, , HKS SSBOV, GReddy-e01 Boost controller, Greddy E-manage fuel management, Blitz Turbo Timer, JE pistons, Ported Head, E.D. Large Frontmount Intercooler, E.D. Tubular manifold with t3/t4 (prototype), IPP coilovers, Limited Slip.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 09:02 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Hector,

I have a set of diagnostic manuals on the way. They should be here tomorrow or the next day. If I can find any info there, I will relay it.

From my undestanding of what I have read, the wideband O2 sensor that the GT uses is biased at 5volts, and may swing between + or - 2.5volts. It is Pulse Width Modulated, meaning (my guess) that the sensor info is determined by the duration of the swing from positive to negative voltage readings. I am not sure if that is the best explanation, or if it is accurate for the application. My interpretation of the sensor setup is that they send a pulsed signal that is either positive or negative, and the duration/quantity of the pulses (either positive or negative) helps to determine either rich or lean condition. There is a sensor before the cat and one installed in the cat, so the PCU can determine both the O2 content and the how efficiently the cat is operating.

On a non PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) signal, the voltage would vary from .1 to 1.0 volts as an indication of O2 content. The gauge would operate in a linear fashion, indicating the voltage level. The heater used in the Wideband sensors help to provide more stable and accurate readings.

Ideally, someone could come up with an interface that fit the diagnostic connector to provide real world output for industry stadard gauges or for gauges designed to work in conjunction with it. That would eliminate a lot of wiring and cable routing problems, as well as providing the same info that the PCM is using to determine how it reacts.
Old 03 Jun 2003, 09:44 pm
Cool Cruiser

Does it say in the book that its pulse width modulate? Because if its going from -2.5V up to 2.5V (5v peak), and also being PM, then you actually have a some what digital and analog signal there. I doubt there will be a digital signal there? See now why are you making me pull out my scope meter, i have no time for that let alone to wipe my booty.

PWM is the same as an FM sigal. Only that in an FM signal, the frequency increases and decreases. On a PM, the frequency remains the same, only that the pulse width changes. THis sounds like a super overkill for the 02 setup. I ordered my srt manuals but they did not send me a diagnostic one.

Old 03 Jun 2003, 10:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Gary C

on a random note, i like to use gm 4 wire heated 02 sensors, as they're plentiful and dirt cheap and haven't failed me yet as far as an add-on o2 sensor is concerned.