Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Advice needed on WGA/Boost Gauge.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Apr 2007, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Advice needed on WGA/Boost Gauge.

Ok so I ordered a S1. I read though how lots of people have a boost gauge and a new WGA. I already have the aftermarket Mopar BOV and I heard that with the stock turbo I really shouldn't mess with the WGA or boost gauge. Is that true? If a WGA and BG will give me better performance than I want them.
So:
1. WGA and Boost Gauge good idea?
2. Need anything else if they are a good idea?
3. suggestions welcome.
Old 26 Apr 2007, 12:36 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Advice needed on WGA/Boost Gauge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzenfighter View Post
Ok so I ordered a S1. I read though how lots of people have a boost gauge and a new WGA. I already have the aftermarket Mopar BOV and I heard that with the stock turbo I really shouldn't mess with the WGA or boost gauge. Is that true? If a WGA and BG will give me better performance than I want them.
So:
1. WGA and Boost Gauge good idea?
2. Need anything else if they are a good idea?
3. suggestions welcome.
1. A boost gauge and aftermarket wga go hand in hand. You need a boost gauge to adjust your wga. Without a boost gauge you won't know what you are boosting and could blow your motor. If you get a stage 2 wga you won't suffer with PTB (part throttle boost). With a wga like the AGP wga you will have bad PTB. With PTB you either drive like a granny or you drive WOT (wide open throttle. PTB is when you give it gas your boost immediately spikes high and this will cause a surge that is not good. When you go WOT you are shifting quickly and going like a bat out of he!! and PTB is not so bad. Some don't mind this and adjust their driving habits accordingly. Driveability does suffer, though. With the stage 2 wga driveability is much better and your car drives like stock. You'll get more power with an AGP wga and you can control PTB with a two stage boost controller. You set the first stage of the boost controller to 15 psi and you have great driveability. You use the second stage of the boost controller from third gear on. No PTB from third gear on and you'll set the boost to spike at 18 psi. The power on the second stage of the boost controller will put a BIG smile on your face. It really depends on what kind of power you are looking for. I've done it both ways and both ways work quite well.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 26 Apr 2007, 04:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My Goal is to up the boost a bit to go along with my S1
Old 26 Apr 2007, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It all seems complicated though. I understand that you can monitor the boost with the BG and you can change the boost with the WGA but how do you change the boost?
Old 26 Apr 2007, 05:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzenfighter View Post
It all seems complicated though. I understand that you can monitor the boost with the BG and you can change the boost with the WGA but how do you change the boost?
Aftermarket wgas are adjustable. I probably made it sound complicated, but it's not really. You adjust your boost with the wga and if you are using a dual stage boost controller you adjust each stage of boost.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 07 Aug 2007, 08:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Black_Sunshine98

i know its old...but WGA are the way to go,you wont blow your mototr cause you cpu will hit boost cut,or whatever u guuys call it.....but its an easey way to tinker with your boost settings....i had a $5 boost controler..vaccum line with no lie...a toliet valve..worked great