Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Sport Shift Survey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Jul 2007, 10:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Sport Shift Survey

Those of you that have the "Auto Stick" automatic in the GT, what per centage of time do you use it? Always, 50%, 10% or never use it. What ever use, let us know. Do you think the car performs better when using the Auto Shift? Your opinions please.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.

Last edited by bados; 07 Jul 2007 at 04:31 pm. Reason: Auto Stick instead of Sport Shift
Old 09 Jul 2007, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Sport Shift Survey

I use it 90% of the time.
Performance is better once you learn your best shift points by looking at the tach.
One Tip...get out of 1st as soon as possible.
2nd to 3rd lets the beast out.
Old 09 Jul 2007, 02:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

its very sad but i never do i never think about it
Old 10 Jul 2007, 11:12 am
Regular Cruiser

I always use all the time, as I have found out from several very good PT transmission men (one of them builds performance Autos for our PTs), that you should only use O/D for cruising on the highway, (over 50 mph or so) and that you should never boost in O/D as it is the weakest link in the transmission,your best power and most boost is available in 3rd (which is 1:1 gear ratio anyway, so to keep the trans from down shifting around town below 50 mph I use the manual shift mode and it keeps the engine in the prefered RPM range for when you want to speed up, instead of having to push the gas peddle further and waiting for it to downshift while in auto mode.

I also get better mileage this way, as it is pretty much always in the rpm power band and don't need to push the peddle as far to get the same results, if you notice, your trans will shift into 2nd almost as soon as you take off from a stop when driving normal, and then it will take more peddle and time and gas to get up to speed, but if you use the manual mode and hold first a little longer your car will accelerate faster , easier, and smoother.
And besides all this, it is fun and I like it. I also like the control and feeling when down shifting to slow down or coming to a stop instead of always hitting the brakes so much, others may not like it, but due to knee problems I can no longer use a clutch properly, so i like the feel of the Autostick, and in the future will have my trans upgraded and it will then shift faster, have more feel and control with firmer shifts like a clutch stick does.
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/

Last edited by Dream4; 10 Jul 2007 at 11:19 am.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 07:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

60 to 70 percent of the time. Better performance and much more fun, ditto for downshifting!

Here's your sign! .
2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.
Old 22 Jul 2007, 11:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just got an 04 PT GT with the Auto Stick, use it going down hills and slowing down in traffic, and of course when you need that instant power to pass someone.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 07:40 am
Regular Cruiser

I don't use mine at all or very rarely. I'm a salesman and always on the highway. Since I put on 33,000 miles per year, gas mileage is important to me. I bought the GT because I wanted something that would give me decent mileage and give me the performance when I wanted it. Using the autoshift would decrease my mileage, but add to the fun.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 23 Jul 2007, 08:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bados View Post
I don't use mine at all or very rarely. I'm a salesman and always on the highway. Since I put on 33,000 miles per year, gas mileage is important to me. I bought the GT because I wanted something that would give me decent mileage and give me the performance when I wanted it. Using the autoshift would decrease my mileage, but add to the fun.
Actually if you had a Boost / Vacuum gauge and kept it as high in the vacuum range as you can by manually shifting, you would increase your MPG, you can also increase your MPG by not using the cruise control
http://www.alcamar.com/trailer/
Old 30 Jul 2007, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to pynner

We use it 95% of the time... it gets more outta the engine, easier to break at a light (slow down), better MPG and lets face it.. when your trying to prove a point to someone, the autostick lets ya get the sound you need!

I have actually convinced my dad to use the autostick in his magnum (once he saw that we got much better MPG).
Old 01 Aug 2007, 08:34 am
Fresh Cruiser

Your Dad probably doesn't keep track of his mileage, does he?

I have used my Pacifica's A/S (larger 3.5L engine with AWD) since it was new in 8/05. I consistently beat the averages with local mpg of 23+ and hiway of 26+ (A/S doesn't help any at 70 mph....duhhh!). Wish I had the new 6 speed tranny, though.

Hope that you all are having a super summer!

2005 PT GT Turbo HO Autostick Convert. --- Bauhaus Progressive Rate Lowering Springs 2.0" frt/1.75" rear, Tokico HP Blue Struts/Shocks, Freedom Front Strut Brace, K&N Filter, Crane FireWires, MOPAR Turbo BOV, TOYO PROXES TPT 215/50/17 HP Skins, Sylvania Silverstar Headlamps, IPCW Clear LED Taillights, TYC Back-up Lights, 115db Airhorn, 13" Billet Radio Antenna w/ chrome bezel, Chrome: Fuel Door Cover, Trunk Lid Struts, Door Handle Cups, Door Spears, Hood Portholes, Washer Nozzles, GT logo valve stem caps, Steering Wheel Spoke Trim, NEW! Chrome Upper body trim, 30% window tint side and rear, Sirius One Radio, factory GPS.

Other MOPAR in our family: 2005 Pacifica Limited AWD
Past Mopars:
2003 Cruiser PT GT Turbo 4dr and fifteen others back to (my first and favorite) 1965 Plymouth Satellite 426 Hemi Conv't.