Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Stock Airbox vs. Cold Air Intake/Cone filters

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Jul 2007, 08:17 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Stock Airbox vs. Cold Air Intake/Cone filters

I know this post will probably generate lots of feedback but after reading a couple other thread's I decided it would be nice to offer everyone a chance to post what they use and why. For starters I use the AEM Cold Air Intake kit, it comes with their DryFlow filter and a heat shield with rubber gromment to help with the heat. So here's my take on intakes. If you just put a cone filter and leave the stock airtube they don't help very much. A bigger gain is seen when you remove the stock air intake tube from the airbox /or cone filter to the turbo compressor housing. This tube is small diameter and flex plastic filled with ridges at the two bends. This causes the incoming air to be turbulent. Replacing this piece with a smoother tube where the bends are made without creating ridges (metal or plastic) streamlining the airflow, this is why mandrel bent exhaust tubing is so popular, less restrictive. The elimination of the ridges also allows for a slight increase in diameter allowing more volume to flow, just like sucking water from a coffee stirring straw versus a drinking straw. Also a cone filter offers a larger volume of air to enter as there is more surface area on the filter. The higher quality cone filters are usually made from a higher quality material to allow more airflow with less restriction (K&N high flow/AEM DryFlow), however since most of us use a high quality air filter like a K&N this doesn't apply. I'm sure many of you are screaming at me that the cone air filter just sucks in motor heat. However many of the top quality kits offer a protective barrier with a rubber gasket around the air filter, I admit these aren't very effective but every little bit help plus most filter's are right above the air duct opening. UNDERSTAND with a cone filter setup you WILL get a warmer air charge I'm not denying that, however you will also see less restrictive air flow allowing more air in. Where I'm from the temp isn't much of an issue at night and if you're afraid of to warm of a charge intercooler sprayers will make a huge difference, I recommend a Cryo2 Kit it runs off of CO2 which is cheaper and easier to fill than nitrous (also safer) and I don't think any states have restrictions on this, where as some state's restrict nitrous like in my state you can't have a nitrous tank in a street car without a roll cage. Also might consider wrapping the intake tube to help keep this cool if you choose a metal intake, i didn't but have friends who have. In the end it all comes down to the drivers style, time of day they drive in, and of course personal preference but I have an AEM cold air intake (kinda an oxymoron since it does suck hot air) and I like it a lot. So there it is please feel free to add your input as I'm sure we all have our own opinions on this and I hope to get some great feedback .
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 09 Jul 2007, 09:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Stock Airbox vs. Cold Air Intake/Cone filters

I am a newbie at this but I just did the air box mod this past weekend. I am impressed with the change in the engine's behavior. $50 bucks for the K&N filter and recharging kit and some blood (cut palm when the silencing collar was pried free), alot of sweat (it was 90+ degrees) and about 40 mins and it was done by a novice.

Afterwards I thought about the CAIs and how they might work...for better or for worse. I understand the hot air argument but can also see that one would provide a more direct route for the air to flow to where it's needed and its open design would pull in a greater volume of air. Greater volume of warm air vs. less volume of cooler air could be a toss up.

But for a newbie just discovering all of the possibilities, the $50 / 30 min. air box mod can't be beat. It makes a noticeable difference.

It will be interesting to see what others who may have experienced both have to say.
Old 10 Jul 2007, 06:35 pm
Young Cruiser

I totally agree for a cheap, easy mod offering a noticable differance the airbox mod is totally the way to go Hopefully we see alot of feedback about this mod vs CAI though i'm really interested to know what other's think since i've thrown mine out .
Mopar Stage 1 upgrade, Mopar BOV Conversion, AEM CAI, High Flow Haynes Plastic Intake Manifold, MSD High Voltage Ignition Coil Pack, MagnaCore Spark Plug Wires, AutoMeter Boost Gauge, Greddy Oil Catch Can, Hurst STS... Plus a much longer wish list

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 11 Jul 2007, 10:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have the VAK intake/uppercharge pipe kit from prototypepower.com but I don't use the cone filter with it, mostly for the reasons stated RE: excessive under hood heat but also because of the excessive noise! I have a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box, but I did remove the white donut. I use the air box to turbo hard pipe from the VAK kit and of course the hard uppercharge pipe (intercooler to throttle body). Works great!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:55 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-PT4 View Post
I have the VAK intake/uppercharge pipe kit from prototypepower.com but I don't use the cone filter with it, mostly for the reasons stated RE: excessive under hood heat but also because of the excessive noise! I have a K&N drop in filter in the stock air box, but I did remove the white donut. I use the air box to turbo hard pipe from the VAK kit and of course the hard uppercharge pipe (intercooler to throttle body). Works great!
Was the upper charge pipe a pretty easy install and does the maf sensor stay in place? I wanted this system when I bought my intake but couldn't afford it at the time however now am thinking about just buying the upper charge pipe.

I DO ALL MY OWN WORK!!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:38 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold GT View Post
Was the upper charge pipe a pretty easy install and does the maf sensor stay in place? I wanted this system when I bought my intake but couldn't afford it at the time however now am thinking about just buying the upper charge pipe.
Definitely do the airbox to turbo connection. You would not believe how much that pipe necks down with the silencer they build into it. I built my own but if you are not so inclined they are available to buy relatively cheap.

I used the Airaid intake for quite a while but I have the outside air temp sensor from the front grill mounted in my airbox and there was just way too much heat getting in for my taste. The seal on those, although a better system than just an open cone on a tube, is still like putting a screen door on a submarine. I finally went back to the modded stock airbox. I didn't see any performance penalty doing this but much cooler airbox temps and I eventually plumbed air from the front of the car to a connector in the bottom of the airbox too. Not a ram air at all (what would be the point with a turbo?) but my airbox temp is usually only about 5-10 degrees higher that the outside air except on a hot Socal day in stop-and-go traffic.

My take would be to stick with the modded airbox.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 15 Jul 2007, 11:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold GT View Post
I found it to be quite easy but have heard of others who really struggled with it. Not sure why as I am certainly not a mechanic!!! I do know that the design has been modified to make installation even easier. And yes, my sensor stays put and has never blown out.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 01:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Stock Airbox vs. Cold Air Intake/Cone filters

I have a 2001 pt touring and swapped out the air box for a air intake system and all i can say is that is was some of the best money spent for quick hp and better fuel performance... A little blood and sweat(torn knuckle) and i was good to go... The noise that you get is a plus and a minus i guess...the 2.4 sounds more aggressive but it tells everyone you are coming too...Not good for a sleeper... All together I think that you can't go wrong with the air intake and to go further with a stainless header and cat back system you can make alot of noise if you wish and a heck of a difference in cheap overall performance...