Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hahn turbo kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Jul 2007, 03:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hahn turbo kit vs. Whipple supercharger

(OK, I`ll admit I`m the new guy so please forgive me if it`s been asked a hundred times before (search function didn`t have any recent info). )

I recently picked up an `02 touring edition PT with 79K miles. I knew it wouldn`t be the fastest vehicle on the block, but it`s roomy and useful for a small vehicle with decent gas mileage (My son and I both race BMX so having room for all of our stuff was a major factor in choosing a car). The day I brought it home I started looking for whatever performance mods were available, and it appears there`s not really anything out there that gives more than a couple of HP gain for the NA cruisers. I came across the Hahn turbo kit, and it seems to really be a very sweet setup, especially since it uses an outboard turbo (as opposed to the cast in turbine on the factory boosted PT).

Who has experience with the kit, especially on an automatic equipped PT, and how is the installation? I did all of the work on my 300ZX, which is a notoriously difficult car to work on (had to pull the motor to make the turbo swap QUICKER), but these days I`d rather not get into a big job like that if it`s not entirely "point and click", so to speak. With the kit being roughly 2800 dollars or so, and they claim it`s 100% complete, no other parts necessary, it looks very attractive.

I also understand they are going to discontinue the PT kit soon...anyone know why?

(edit): OK, not much response with the initial question, so maybe more folks have some experience with the supercharger kits on the market. I`m looking at the whipple kit, and it looks pretty easy to install. Opinions?

Thanks,
JeffB

Last edited by JeffB; 18 Jul 2007 at 05:11 pm. Reason: broadening my question without starting a new thread
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to R3dWhitNCrz
Default Re: Hahn turbo kit

Jeff,

I hope you are still out there...? I have a Hahn kit and I love it, but I am not the expert on this system. Check out Bob Stockum, he has a link on the main page. Great stuff and wow has he got a fast turbo PT! Hope this helps.

I am still working on my set up and will be trying to get with Bob soon myself.
Old 05 Sep 2007, 11:43 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Bob's site.

index

As was said, he is the guru for the Hahn turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Sep 2007, 02:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to blu03gt

i dont mean to seem rude or anything at all, but 200whp and only 14.6 in the quarter mile doesnt sound impressive at all for a PT with a turbo upgrade...... did i miss something on his page ?
Old 06 Sep 2007, 10:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys, I did check out Bob`s page. I agree that the results seemed a little lackluster for the effort he put in. It would seem you could get 200whp out of a stock GT with more boost and enriching the fuel curve (and obviously the typical bolt-ons). I have seen 4 cylinder motors make 400hp with a well tuned turbo system.

The hahn kit just seemed an easy way to pep up the horribly underpowered PT. I`d be happy with bolt-ons if I could squeeze out another 20hp, but I`m finding out that the power just isn`t there to let out...

(and to be completely off topic, but worth noting, I just replaced the starter in my Cruiser yesterday. Took about an hour and was MUCH easier than I thought it would be.)
Old 14 Sep 2008, 08:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i have a whipple on my pt and it made the car so much more enjoyable, the supercharger is a simple bolt on with no major mods nessassary, my friend has a pt with a turbo and as quick as it is it has flaws, the turbo no matter how good, will lagg, you will have no power then all at the same time you get all the power, with the whipple you have power as soon as u put ur foot down. as well a turbo means alot of work and needing a new exhaust, and you get more power with the supercharger. hope tht was help full. oh by the way my car now has 250 hp thaks mostly to the charger
Old 20 Sep 2008, 07:29 am
Young Cruiser

Jeff, your car is currently n/a right? The 2.4 in an n/a pt cruiser is not just a gt engine without its turbo. The motor is not built for boost. No oil squirters, no forged crank shaft, compression not set up with boost in mind....etc If you add an aftermarket turbo and don't build the engine you will only be able to run maybe 10 psi? Hence the lackluster performance. With all the money you'd end up spending (if you want to do it right) on clutch, injectors, boost controllers, wideband, intercooler, turbo kit, hard pipes, heavy ignition wires, LSD, motor mounts, exhaust, not to mention the building the engine part if you want more than 1/2 a bar....etc it'd be cheaper just to buy a GT and start with the turbo.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 03:02 pm
Cool Cruiser

The standard n/a PT will eat itself if you exceed 7 psi boost. The GT had special pistons, rods, crank shaft,intercooler, and valves to withstand the pressure and temperatures that the turbo generates. As stated earlier it would be cheaper to buy a GT, and a lot less of a problem down the line.
Old 20 Sep 2008, 08:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

car has 79,000 miles would it be wise to boost up the power at this point ?? just curious