Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Battery Life

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2007, 08:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Battery Life

Hi everyone. I've got close to 70K miles on mk PTGT and still have the original battery. The past couple of days when I started the car, my radar detector read "low voltage" for a second. The car is over 2 years old and has to endure very hot weather here in Florida. I'm wondering if it's time to replace it and what battery would you recommend. Thanks for responding.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 04 Sep 2007, 12:37 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Battery Life

70K, but only 2 years old?

Up here where old man winter gives us an annual battery test, the factory batteries last about 3-4 years, depending on driving conditions.

Of course there you have to contend with hot weather and constant AC use.
First question: If the engine cranks slowly or reluctantly, there is a real battery problem.
Second: Have you got any check engine lights or codes?
Third: have you been doing only short trips lately? It may just be you need a good road trip, or a few hours on a trickle charger, to get your battery back up to 'full'.

Otherwise, As long as you dont have starting problems, don't worry about it.

And what if your battery is having a problem: Maybe the battery is dying, or, you might be having a bigger charging system problem (is your warrantee still active?) A charging system test is a good first step in this case.

If you do need to replace the battery, just about any major brand battery should be fine. I am fond of Die Hards as if you have a problem you can get it handled at any Sears Auto Center, and you can almost always catch a sale. The Optimas are highly praised, but pricey, and IMHO a bit of overkill in a typical PT.
Join the SEMA Action Network
http://www.semasan.com
Old 04 Sep 2007, 05:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have no indication that the battery is going with the exception of a low voltage indication on my radar detector. Everything else seems ok. I know I'm going to be sorry for saying this, but I'll wait until I have a hard start, then buy the battery. I have AAA just in case.

2001 Corvette Convertable, Navy Blue Metalic, Z51, 3:15 with 4" inch quad Borla Stinger Exhausts X Pipe and K&N Filter.
Old 05 Sep 2007, 02:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

how about an 03 gt with 18,063 still have the oringnal battery and all is still ok