PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Air intake question for turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Oct 2007, 02:46 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Air intake question for turbo

I have a 2005 PT Cruiser GT turbo L4-2.4L
I went to my local parts shop that also does installations & asked for a K&N cold air intake....he put in a K&N Typhoon intake system 69-2541.......what are the differences between the Typhoon & the cold air....what is better for a non race car use normal city & some highway use......but looking for better HP & gas mileage?
Is the cold air system better?? Should I go back & have him take this out?

Thanks,
Larry

tpsfoto@gmail.com
2005 Plum Vert GT Turbo HO
Nav, Chrome 17" Wheels 5 Speed
K&N Typhoon Air Intake, AOOgah Horn, Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace
Some chrome here & there....

2009 PT bought with Cash For Clunkers.....sold it for a
2014 Juke
Old 04 Oct 2007, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Air intake question for turbo

Take a look at this page of K&N filters.

http://www.knfilters.com/air_intake/...t_cruiser.aspx

Go down to the 2005's and look at the Turbo filters. One choice is the Typhoon the other is the FIPK/Aircharger. Notice the FIPK/Aircharger has surrounding baffels to stop hot air from being sucked in, whereas your Typhoon is just a tube with filter. If your trying for every bit of HP, even though the FIPK/Aircharger will cost more, that's the way to go.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 07:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Crewzin,

You posted: "If your trying for every bit of HP, even though the FIPK/Aircharger will cost more, that's the way to go"

What do you think the HP difference is between the K&N Filtercharger versus the Mopar Cold Air intake?
Old 08 Oct 2007, 08:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastcruiser View Post
Crewzin,

What do you think the HP difference is between the K&N Filtercharger versus the Mopar Cold Air intake?
They both have the baffels to keep the hot air away from the filter. Mopar says 8 HP gain, K&N says 12 HP. But can you really believe what they say ??? Who knows, they're both probably about the same in HP gain.

Moper is $350, but I can't tell what the K&N is selling for.
Old 08 Oct 2007, 09:11 pm
Veteran Cruiser

They both are not totally enclosed systems so they both still suck hot air. I would never believe a manufacturer's dyno numbers. In the real world, I've seen PT turbos on the dyno and open intakes are worth 2-3 hp with a loss of torque.If you don't care about power numbers and just want one for the bling and sound then get one. If you want to squeeze every bit of power out of your engine then get a high flow drop in filter and do the airbox mods.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 09 Oct 2007, 02:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

The attempt they make at forming a sealed airbox is laughable at best. Hot air get in all over the place. I tried the Airraid which uses the bottom of the stock box and it still didn't run as cool as the stock box. I am back to using a stock airbox modified with an air intake plumbed to the front of the car. Intake air temp is generally within 5-10 degrees of outside ambient air.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 09 Oct 2007, 05:22 pm
Regular Cruiser

But no one answered my original question....I asked for a K&N cold air intake & the parts shop installed a K&N Typhoone.......should I have him change it?.....is the Typhoone an advantage or dissadvantage?

Thanks All!

tpsfoto@gmail.com
2005 Plum Vert GT Turbo HO
Nav, Chrome 17" Wheels 5 Speed
K&N Typhoon Air Intake, AOOgah Horn, Freedom Design Strut Tower Brace
Some chrome here & there....

2009 PT bought with Cash For Clunkers.....sold it for a
2014 Juke
Old 09 Oct 2007, 05:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Since you didn't specify which K&N except to say "cold air intake" they weren't wrong in giving you the Typhoon. I think they are both considered a cold air intake since they both try to draw cooler air from the hole in the fender. It's just the FIPK/Aircharger does a little better job of the two your talking about.