PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Injector Cleaning?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Oct 2007, 03:21 pm
Regular Cruiser

Question Injector Cleaning?

Just got back from having the oil changed in my '03 GT. $70.00 (full synthetic) and that's with nothing extra like air filter or coolant top off!!! I'm going to go back to changing my own oil I guess.

Anyway, the guys at Jiffy Lube keep recommending the injector cleaning service and I keep telling them no. How many of you are doing an injector cleaning and are you doing it yourself or having the dealer or another shop do it? Is it really necessary? Guess I should check the manual and see if it's something Chrysler recommends.
Curious,
Bill
Old 10 Oct 2007, 03:52 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Injector Cleaning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB View Post
Just got back from having the oil changed in my '03 GT. $70.00 (full synthetic) and that's with nothing extra like air filter or coolant top off!!! I'm going to go back to changing my own oil I guess.

Anyway, the guys at Jiffy Lube keep recommending the injector cleaning service and I keep telling them no. How many of you are doing an injector cleaning and are you doing it yourself or having the dealer or another shop do it? Is it really necessary? Guess I should check the manual and see if it's something Chrysler recommends.
Curious,
Bill
$70, OUCH! I purchase my own Mobil 1 oil at Walmart. That's $24 for 5 qts. The dealer charges me $16.38 to do the oil change so that's $40.38 total. I wouldn't let Jiffy Lube touch my cars. Also don't forget they make their money off of other services, though at $70 for a synthetic oil change they are making a lot there. There is injector cleaner in today's gasolines. I wouldn't go for an injector service unless my car was running badly and I've done a plugs and wires change. How many miles on your car?

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Oct 2007, 07:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Injector Cleaning is the paint sealant of the lube industry. I wouldn't trust them to do it even if I needed it. That is one of those things that is a huge profit for them, if they even do it when you pay for it. If you use a good quality fuel and and occasional bottle of injector cleaner in your tank you will be better off.
'03 Inferno Red GT, 5 speed, STAGE 1, Mopar BOV, Plastic Intake, Modified Upper and Lower Airbox, Custom Airbox-to-turbo pipe, Borla dual exhaust, Maddog Short Shifter, Drilled/Slotter Rotors, Ceramic Pads, chrome wheels, chrome door spears, AMP chrome fuel door, PT Cruiser 3rd light diffuser, H&R Springs, Rear Sway Bar added, MGW chrome door lock pulls, Blane's hood struts, Custom license plate mount, some interior dress up stuff...more to come
Old 19 Oct 2007, 08:03 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thanks guys!
Just got back from a week on the road so I'm just now catching up.

Mean Green: Yeah JL is just used 'cause it's convenient. With this latest jump in price I'm going to go back to doing my own oil changes. My PT is an '03 turbo with 70K miles on it. I'm changing with full synth every 5K miles which is about every 5-6 months for me.

Cal Cruzer: Yeah, I never let JL do anything except an oil change. Even then, they left a filter loose one time and I had to go back and bitch at them about it. They always ask if I want the coolant topped off, even though I know it's fine, just so they can charge $2.00 for something they used to do for free. Sad.

I was mostly curious if anyone was doing any kind of injector cleaning. I always figured the cleaners in the gas were enough. I'll check the manual and see if Chrysler recommends any kind of injector maintenance.
Thanks!
Bill

Last edited by BB; 20 Oct 2007 at 10:53 am.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 10:55 am
Cool Cruiser

I use Shell premium, but every oil change I put injector cleaner in the tank.
Old 21 Oct 2007, 05:17 pm
Regular Cruiser

What brand of cleaner lbGT?
Bill
Old 11 Nov 2007, 05:26 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

right now at advance autoparts, the shell injector cleaner is buy one get one free. not a bad buy if you want to stock up for the upcoming summer. the best buy for me was when the 104+ was buy one get one free. that stuff is 10.00 a bottle.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 10:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Thumbs down Re: Injector Cleaning?

Don't let Jiffy Lube change your oil, unless you are temporarily in a body cast!
MY past 2 vehicles both had the oil plugs stripped by JL!

(Oh Yah! They are always finmding something else to do for you - that you usually don't need. Even once told me I needed a new air filter when I had just changed it out the day before myself!)

Last edited by soonercruiser; 14 Nov 2007 at 10:31 pm. Reason: extra thought