Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
I removed the silencer in pipe from airbox to turbo - what is that noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Oct 2007, 04:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default I removed the silencer in pipe from airbox to turbo - what is that noise

i cut open the oem pipe from the airbox to turbo and gutted out the perferated baffle . than i used a rubber coupler to re-join the two parts together with hose clamps . after several mile of driving ( to allow the computer to get used to the new airflow , THE CAR RAN STRONGER and boosted harder . WHAT is the pssst sound after i LEAVE OFF the gas ? maybe the blowoff ? wastgate ? - what is the thermostat valve housing attached to turbo - or is the sound just the turbo winding down ( i hear the high pitch whine on acceloration , but this sound is more of a lower releif valve sound
Old 14 Oct 2007, 05:02 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: I removed the silencer in pipe from airbox to turbo - what is that noise

You are hearing the factory surge valve blowing off. It releases back pressure to the turbo.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 14 Oct 2007, 06:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: I removed the silencer in pipe from airbox to turbo - what is that noise

thanks for the reply - we all appriciate your sharing of knowledge on cars - so that sound was hidden by the baffle i took out ? does that mean the pressure valve dumps air back into the tube in reverse order and the sound was mufflered out . anyway , if it is a normal functional sound that is suppose to happen it is fine to hear it by me . even though i opened the pathway to the turbo significantly ( i used a dremel with some cutting tips and grinding tips, then sanded and polished to a smooth bore ) it still has a choke point of about 1 3/4 " in two areas , but i think this is better than a 1 3/8 " full running 6 inch muffler ( i learned this from port designing in speaker building) . but he bottom line is THE CAR IS ( seems to be ) more stronger and better boost power - PS hoe\w long does it take for the computer to adjust for mods and does your style of driving ( engaging the boost alot ) affect computer programing ?
Old 14 Oct 2007, 09:57 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino View Post
thanks for the reply - we all appriciate your sharing of knowledge on cars - so that sound was hidden by the baffle i took out ? does that mean the pressure valve dumps air back into the tube in reverse order and the sound was mufflered out . anyway , if it is a normal functional sound that is suppose to happen it is fine to hear it by me . even though i opened the pathway to the turbo significantly ( i used a dremel with some cutting tips and grinding tips, then sanded and polished to a smooth bore ) it still has a choke point of about 1 3/4 " in two areas , but i think this is better than a 1 3/8 " full running 6 inch muffler ( i learned this from port designing in speaker building) . but he bottom line is THE CAR IS ( seems to be ) more stronger and better boost power - PS hoe\w long does it take for the computer to adjust for mods and does your style of driving ( engaging the boost alot ) affect computer programing ?
It's not hard to make a turbo to airbox hose. The hose starts out at 3" and tapers down to 2 1/2" so you haven't really opened it up enough. I made mine. Or you can but the hose from a guy who makes them.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic