Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
easiest boost gauge to put in ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Oct 2007, 09:14 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default easiest boost gauge to put in ?

i am not sure if they all hook up the same way - what is the most common are to get the boost reading from , without a lot of modifications ( tapping into a vacuum line is ok ) which model seems to be the best value .
Old 17 Oct 2007, 10:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: easiest boost gauge to put in ?

You can connect it to the brake booster line on the back of the intake manifold. Here you will read boost as well as vacuum. If you put it in front of the throttle body, you will only read boost.

Most mechanical units connect the same, a single tube to the back of the unit plus power for the backlight. Electric boost gauges use a pressure sensor that sends an electrical signal to the gauge. They tend to be more expensive.

Autometer is a popular brand. I have a Sunpro, which is typically very economical. I've had good results with it, but the needle rattles a bit at certain engine loads and RPMs due to the pulsating nature of the airflow in the intake manifold.

Brian
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:34 am
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

my interceptor gauge is the easiest. plugs right into the odb port. nothng is easier than that. plus it give me air intake tempature readings engine load, mpg 0-60 times read all about it here.

Interceptor OBD2 data stream gauge and scan tool by Aeroforce Technology
Old 18 Oct 2007, 09:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

what is to process to install ? just plug it in to obd2 ? what is the mini 3 wire plug for . will it read boost without purchasing an additional sensor . what web site sells it cheapest ?
Old 18 Oct 2007, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

PT isn't designed to be a race car. Remember you get what you pay for. Cheap is cheap!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Oct 2007, 02:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

how does cheap apply to this thread ? best value -yes - anyways , i wanted to know which gauge was the easiest and most tried out with the most cost effective and good performance . does a boost gauge make the pt a race car ? probably not just like an airraid filter doesnt . these are just toys for our toys .
Old 18 Oct 2007, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mino View Post
what is to process to install ? just plug it in to obd2 ? what is the mini 3 wire plug for . will it read boost without purchasing an additional sensor . what web site sells it cheapest ?

Your words!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Oct 2007, 08:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to Taggert_LOA

it plugs right into the odb port. those connectors are for the analog ports, if you wanted to run a wideband sensor for instance. price usually runs within a few dollars of each other depending on the site. i got mine used from another PT Owner.
Old 01 Dec 2007, 08:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I have the interceptor gauge setup, its an easy install yes, but it only reads what the computer sees, which can be good and bad.
if you want a ACURRATE boost reading, you cant beat a nice autometer gauge plumed into a direct line from the engine. the scan gauge will show what the electric sensors are seeing. good for a computer to calibrate, bad if you want to be "on the money"
also, the interceptor scan gauge is about $250 new, I have one, love it, but I dont base my tuning off of it, it just shows me what my sensors and computer are seeing. and its kinda cool to play with.
Old 01 Dec 2007, 10:17 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboost View Post
I have the interceptor gauge setup, its an easy install yes, but it only reads what the computer sees, which can be good and bad.
if you want a ACURRATE boost reading, you cant beat a nice autometer gauge plumed into a direct line from the engine. the scan gauge will show what the electric sensors are seeing. good for a computer to calibrate, bad if you want to be "on the money"
also, the interceptor scan gauge is about $250 new, I have one, love it, but I dont base my tuning off of it, it just shows me what my sensors and computer are seeing. and its kinda cool to play with.
My Interceptor reads the same boost/vacuum as my stock boost/vac gauge in my srt-4. Can't get more accurate than that.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic