Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question regarding Turbo Exhaust system, etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2007, 02:02 pm
Young Cruiser

Lightbulb Question regarding Turbo Exhaust system, etc

I have read various threads on here and am trying to make sense of what to do since some topics are a few years old.

I have the 2.4 Turbo and need to know what is the best combo of parts instead of doing the ECU Stage 1?

So far, I have a shop that suggested a new downpipe and exhaust to get the air flow rather than the ECU, which will eat higher grade gas and not spool faster and lose power faster instead of continuous air flow.

I don't have the budget to do both air flow increase and the ECU, if that's even recommended.

However, reading on here I see a new 3" o2 housing, new 3" downpipe, and 2.5" single exhaust is ideal (since I am getting a new roll pan with single exit and don't want to lose power in a T split dual). I already have Mopar Cold Air Intake and the BOV.

Is this combo ideal for what I want to do rather than the ECU Stage 1?

Also is a part like this:
PT Cruiser Exhaust - BTG Exhaust Tuned Catalytic Converter

extraneous, or essential to the above combination.

Thanks!
Old 06 Nov 2007, 03:18 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Question regarding Turbo Exhaust system, etc

A larger turboback exhaust system is a great mod for faster turbo spool up, but will not bring your power up to anything close to Stage 1. Still, the bigger exhaust is a building block. Keep an eye on the forums and ebay. People do pull their Stage 1 off and put it back to stock when they sell their PT. Sometimes you can get a great deal. The Stage 1 has to be transmission and year specific, though.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Nov 2007, 04:33 pm
Young Cruiser

So are there any recommendations in a system? Should I look for a Turbo Back system as a whole? Or buy the o2, down pipe, wider cat, and exhaust all separately?
Old 06 Nov 2007, 04:53 pm
Young Cruiser

and a secondary questions, should I begin with doing the Stage 1 upgrade without an exhaust system upgrade? Will the Stage 1 upgrade run fine with the stock exhaust? Or is that a waste and I should do both the Stage 1 and the exhaust system at the same time?
Old 06 Nov 2007, 09:56 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_I_PT View Post
and a secondary questions, should I begin with doing the Stage 1 upgrade without an exhaust system upgrade? Will the Stage 1 upgrade run fine with the stock exhaust? Or is that a waste and I should do both the Stage 1 and the exhaust system at the same time?
Stage 1 will run fine with the stock exhaust. You can do a TBE (turboback exhaust) later.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 06 Nov 2007, 11:24 pm
Young Cruiser

thank you very much for your information. Seriously, this forum saves me a ton of headaches and $$$$$$$$$$$$$
in 2 weeks I will have my first major appearance mods. I've owned the car now, 1 month shy of 3 years and wanted to do these mods since I bought the car.

Car is 05 black, limited with Chrome appearance package
Mods:
-2" rear drop
-16" baby moons with chrome center and house of color purple outside placed on my existing goodyears (non white walls, not going for that look)
-roll pan with single exit
- '59 cadillac tail lights all red
- Custom art on left side of rear hatch, I debadged all except on the right side 2.4L Turbo

I will definitely share photos when it's done. Before and After.

BTW I'm a 29 year old female and I love this car. I've had Civics, Acuras, a 05 4-runner, Ford and Chevy Trucks and this by far is my favorite car.

There is no other car for the New car price that comes close in appearance, mod potential, and performance.

Next will definitely be the Stage 1. Followed eventually by exhaust system, front end modification (not sure yet what), and other odds and ends that could use upgraded parts, i.e. spark plugs, wires, brake system wires, HP rotors, etc.