PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > 2.4L Turbo Forums > Turbo Performance

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Strut, Sway Bars in Turbos (another question from me)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Nov 2007, 11:29 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Strut, Sway Bars in Turbos (another question from me)

I am trying to educate myself on this forum without asking too many questions but I still cannot discern what I have.

According to my Vehicle info I have, since time of purchase, a front stabilizer bar.

Is this the same as a Front Strut bar available from aftermarket vendors?

From what I see they are typically around $150.....just need to know if I don't need to spend the $$$ for one....
Old 07 Nov 2007, 02:12 am
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Strut, Sway Bars in Turbos (another question from me)

Two different items. You have a front stabilizer bar, a front sway bar, but Chrysler went cheap for '03 and deleted the rear sway bar. The front strut bar is a great addition to help with more precise steering and less front body roll. There really needs to be a rear sway bar so either get a used one or buy it new. You will also need the mounting hardware kit for the rear sway. For myself, I'd go with bigger aftermarket sway bars to improve handling. Really depends how much you want/have to spend and how far you want to go with the suspension.

\'04 Graphite PT Automatic
Old 10 Nov 2007, 06:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Strut, Sway Bars in Turbos (another question from me)

Agree w/Mean Green. I finally put in a strut bar today - I bought it used for about half a new one costs. Since it's aluminum, looks as good as new.
Bit of a PITA to put on a turbo, since there are solenoids and a bracket on passenger side that block straight install. The bracket needs a big notch in it so the strut bar can go in. I drilled overlapping holes to make the cut in the bracket, filed rough edges, then rustoleumed the cut.
I had a strut bar on my '02 and it's a easy steering improver.
You might also consider lowering springs - I lowered rear only since I feel front is low enough, but it helps, as does a rear sway bar.
Suggest you keep an eye on this and other PT forum classifieds and get used parts - much cheaper...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles